View post (Modes from a different view)

View thread

Drew77
Drew77
02/01/2007 4:14 pm
yeah, thats one thing I don't really get is chord progressions. I mean I know how they are formed and I know how they fit but what if you are using multiple scales from a single root? Does that change th chord progression? Do you have to change the scale you are playing with every chord change or just if it changes key? I have not yet started playing with other musicians, but I will be shortly if I can find any, but I just don;t feel comfortable with the whole progression thing. I got major and minor chords down fine, its just I don;t know how all those other much more interesting chords fit into the equation and how I can write melodies and solos over them... maybe I am over complicating it?

Edit: OH I think I got it. So a Major 7th progression is just a normal progression with 7th chords intead of the normal ones. so the order of major and minors is the same and the V chord is a dominant 7th? am I write. can 7th chords be mixed into other progressions or do you have to stick, I mean i have tried mixing more interesting chords into standard major and minor prog. but it is really hit or miss and I miss most of the time. Is that changing the key, does playing over a Major-7th prog. change the scales you use?

I was just looking at a 7th progression and realized who much more simple it is then I thought. However I still don't fully understand how to use it.