View post (Modes from a different view)

View thread

dvenetian
dvenetian
02/01/2007 10:00 am
The Mixolydian mode gets a lot of attention with many Blues players, due to it's savvy presence and the ability to play well with others. If you like the style of SRV, than this modes for you. Stevie loved it for the Major 3rd improv that flavored his style. After all it is a Major interval with a dominant flare. With that established, let's take a look at one of the most popular scales used in Blues, the Blues scale. This slightly altered scale derives from the minor pentatonic scale by adding a b5 to the intervals.
Example: minor pentatonic scale = 1-b3-4-5-b7 (W+h-W-W-W+h-W)
The Blues scale (minor): = 1-b3-4-b5-5-b7 (W+h-W-h-h-W+h-W)
So the Blues scale took the 5 tones from the minor pentatonic and added a b5 passing tone, creating a 6 tone minor scale. Many players beat this scale to death by using it in almost every direction possible, after all it is limited in tonality even with the added passing tone thrown in.
To spice things up a little, some of the Legends began to merge some scales together, creating a hybrid scale so to speak it fit their style and offer more options to choose from. The intervals came from combining the Mixolydian mode and the Blues scale together and naming it the Mixo-blues scale.
Wait a minute, mixing a Major and a minor together????? Yup.
This combination brings 9 tones to the table, not to mention the minor and Major 3rd along with the minor 7th. (some studies refer to the Mixo-blues as a 7 note scale, but I say why not use them all since they're available).....
The Mixo-blues scale = 1-2-b3-3-4-b5-5-6-b7 (W-h-h-h-h-h-W-h-W).
I'll post a few chord progressions that work well with this hybrid scale, but I'd better pick up ol' trusty and jam first not to mis-post something.