Ibanez powersound pickups

Krunek
Krunek
01/24/2007 12:52 pm
Hi fellas.Need some help here.I recently got a new Ibanez, RG 370.I tried to write a review about it and messed up.Sorry "bout that LATS.Anyhow, when I turn up volume, there is this cracking sound at one point.The guy at the guitar shop told me I should replace knobs.Now, in order to do that, i would have to know the type of the knobs; you know, something about how much ohms or something.Dunno; I am not very good at techincal stuff. :o
And, yes, I could open the back and check out if it says on the knobs, but as much as I am not good at technical stuff, that much I don"t have patience or even less, gentle touch.I am very liable of breaking something if I open that up.So, can anyone tell me what kind of knobs should I get?Anyone?
Ren, perhaps? :)
# 1
aschleman
aschleman
01/24/2007 1:28 pm
What configuration is your RG? Is it a hum/single/single or hum/hum pickup configuration?? Does it have 1 tone/1 volume or 2 tone/1 volume??

So you understand what's goin on:
When the guitar tech says replace the "knobs" he's meaning the potentiometers (or pots, as they're more commonly known). The pots are the devices that bleed off current so you can adjust the volume and/or tone of the guitar... He didn't mean change the knob itself... You seemd to understand this but if you go around asking for knobs for an Ibanez RG you're going to get a lot of recommendations for..... welll....... knobs. haha. The cracking noise is probably caused by a small amount of dirt, corrosion, or rust in the area of the contact point inside the pot... Some pots are completely sealed so you don't get this type of wear but most manufacturers use non sealed pots because they're cheaper on production costs... There are two basic types of pots that are most common in passive pickup applications... 500k and 250k... The 500k pots are commonly used in humbucker applications and 250k pots are commonly used in single coil applications.... 250k pots bleed more treble off giving them a warmer tone than that of the 500k pots.... 250k and 500k can both be used with single coils OR hum pickups... They just have most commonly been used for a specific type of pickup to get a desired tone charactristic of that pickup type.... For active pickup systems a 25k pot is generally used... 1meg pots bleed off even less treble than a 500k pot, they're not very common but they are an option if you want to get a little more clarity or high end from a humbucker.

For your application you're most likely going to need 500k pots.
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_pickups/Potentiometers_and_push-pull_pots/1/Potentiometers_and_Push-Pull_Pots.html

You might as well replace all your pots while you're at it... and maybe consider changing your switch as well... switchcraft makes some really nice smooth switches that are an upgrade from most any other stock switches.

Good luck!
# 2
Krunek
Krunek
01/26/2007 11:54 am
Dind"t have time to write it efore, but I found a minute now.
THANKS!!!! ;)
# 3
HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
01/26/2007 7:08 pm
That noise has happened to me a few times in the past....Just takes a squirt of cleaner in the pot. Worked for me. I don't know what the cleaner is called, the guitar tech at my local store did it......It's some kind of lubricant kind of like WD-40.

Did he try cleaning it before trying to sell you new pots (knobs)? Sound like a sales tactic to me. But, it may need to be changed out.......
Check out my band:
Havoc Din
# 4
aschleman
aschleman
01/26/2007 7:11 pm
Originally Posted by: JFRICKThat noise has happened to me a few times in the past....Just takes a squirt of cleaner in the pot. Worked for me. I don't know what the cleaner is called, the guitar tech at my local store did it......It's some kind of lubricant kind of like WD-40.

It's probably not a "lube"... it's probably some kind of a contact cleaner. Which will take away the rust or whatever it is that's causing the interference in the current.
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.