View post (Minor Pent over Major Chords?)

View thread

equator
equator
01/24/2007 12:15 am
I am not a Full Access member, so I don’t know if the links to the tutorials explain about the Blue Notes that are generated when you use the blues scale over a major progression.
You have the E scale [E-F#-G#-A-B-C#-D#]
And the E blues scale [E-G-A-Bb-B-D]…three notes in this scale create tension over the E chord, they are G, Bb, D. From those three notes Bb is considered the most dissonant, and the true blue note to some theoreticians.

When you use the E minor pentatonic, you are inserting two out of the three notes (G,D)
E minor Pentatonic Scale [E-G-A-B-D]

The use of those two minor scales over a major progression lends to a Blues/Rock kind of sound

Originally Posted by: dvenetian
Example: An Asus chord would naturally refer to using the 4th in place of the third note[/QUOTE]
More properly called sus4 to differentiate it from the sus2, not to mention the extensions and alterations of that type of chords, I.e. 7sus2, 7sus4, maj7sus2, maj7sus4, majsus2sus4, maj13sus4. All I’m saying is we should call it SUS4, rather than just sus.

[QUOTE=dvenetian] If the third is used along with the 2nd, it would be considered an A9 chord ( Major, because of the third).

If you use the third along with the second it would be called A add9.
In order for that chord to be an A9 chord, it should contain the flatted 7th plus the 9th.

I hope I didn't offend anybody, I’m just trying to help ;)

Someday I`ll play like in my dreams.

equator's Music Page.