View post (Building a cab)

View thread

aschleman
aschleman
01/22/2007 7:52 pm
Originally Posted by: Drew77

My questions where more about design and such.

Just makin sure that you thought it all through... A lot of times people come on here and throw ideas around when there is an easier solution...

As far as design goes... A speaker cab with a horizontal speaker configuration would probably be what you'll want since you like a tight bottom end. Having the speakers lower to the ground and resting on the ground give the box a more solid resonance where as elevated speakers or cabs with speakers in a verticle configuration tend to get a little more treble and lose some of that bottom... So a horizantal, closed back, ported 2x12 inch speaker cab it would be... Then into mounting the speakers... there are tons of sites that will give you a lot more info than I can... But my personal preference would be to offest the speakers in the cab (one slightly higher than the other)... For one, this allows you to place the speakers a little closer together. This will help in that bottom end giving the amp a more centered point of sound conveyance. And two... it will give your cab a bit more edge in the top end... It will balance the cab so you're not bottom heavy on the EQ... As far as wht types of wood to use I'm not too certain on that. I think most decent cabs are made of birch... But I could be wrong. The finish of the wood can also play a part in the tone of the wood as well.... tolex or a hardened finish will make the wood respond differently than a tweed or soft type covering... There should be a few good sites out on the web that can explain all that in a little more detail.

http://www.humanspeakers.com/diy/cabinets.htm