Wanna know what angers me?

grizzlymint
grizzlymint
01/19/2007 4:23 am
So I was sittin there tonight. Booted up my laptop, sat down, started up Guitar Pro 5. I was preparing to learn the My Sharona solo. So I'm tunin up, get through the first 5 strings, and of course, the dreaded high E....I shan't say what happened, and I have no spares. :mad:

Sorry, had to get that off my chest.
Let your soul shine. Its better than sunshine. Its better than moonshine. Damn sure better than rain.
# 1
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
01/19/2007 4:33 am
Originally Posted by: grizzlymint...I shan't say what happened, and I have no spares. :mad:

You crapped your shorts?

Sorry Grizz, I had too.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"Bust a nut!" - Dimebag
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Einstein
[/FONT]
# 2
polansky
polansky
01/19/2007 4:46 am
Damn string dude... same thing happened to me a couple of day ago...but it got worst... after that I was repalcing strings mounted the first 4 strings I just gave tension to the 4th and started to feel the tunner un the headstock kind of stiff ant thought.."damn cheep tunners I hate them" and started getting more stiff so after a while twaaaaang the 3dr string pops... :eek: I WAS TUNNING THE WRONG STRING.... GAAAATEEEEEEEMMMMM. :mad:

I felt like a dork (cause I was) spoiled a brand new pack of d'addarios 10 gauge.... I can belive I'm such and idiot. And of course I have no more spares. :(
Power corrupts. Absolute power is kinda neat.
# 3
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
01/19/2007 5:16 am
How the hell you guys break strings while tuning I'll never know. Even on my pos strat copy I never broke a strin replacing them, the only trouble I had was not having the high e wound enough and it slipped off (which happened a lot cause I was new to guitar.) I understand tuning the wrong string and it breaking (which I do but realize after 2 turns what I'm doing,) but just straigtht up tuning to standard pitch?
"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace
# 4
jiujitsu_jesus
jiujitsu_jesus
01/19/2007 5:36 am
Argh, bad luck, man. Nothing worse than snapping a new string.

I've never broken a string whilst tuning or re-stringing, but I constantly break them by doing huge bends! I once bent up to a glorious high F# on the 21st fret, snapping the high E string in the process.
"It's all folk music... I ain't never heard no horse sing!"
- Attributed variously to Leadbelly and Louis Armstrong

If at first you don't succeed, you are obviously not Chuck Norris.

l337iZmz r@wk o.K!!!??>
# 5
grizzlymint
grizzlymint
01/19/2007 5:37 am
Actually, I was previously tuned down cuz I was playing the outro to Pantera's "Floods." Which is also another one of my personal favs.
Let your soul shine. Its better than sunshine. Its better than moonshine. Damn sure better than rain.
# 6
polansky
polansky
01/19/2007 6:56 am
Originally Posted by: elklanderccHow the hell you guys break strings while tuning I'll never know.

I really dunno either, it just happen in first place, but I guess it was cause my previos strings (before my stupid missplacing of the tunner) were pretty out of shine...mmm... gonna post something bout it.

Good Idea... I'm gonna do it right now.
Power corrupts. Absolute power is kinda neat.
# 7
grizzlymint
grizzlymint
01/19/2007 7:04 am
Originally Posted by: R. ShackleferdYou crapped your shorts?

Sorry Grizz, I had too.

I crapped my shorts BEFORE I broke my string. I did it on purpose, but I really don't have a good reason for doing it. Luckily though, I was wearing my boxer briefs, so I had all the support to hold that warm goodness.
# 8
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
01/19/2007 10:22 am
Originally Posted by: grizzlymintI crapped my shorts BEFORE I broke my string. I did it on purpose, but I really don't have a good reason for doing it. Luckily though, I was wearing my boxer briefs, so I had all the support to hold that warm goodness.

Ewww...

Must have been something in the air last night. Snapped the G on the acoustic while playing 'Sweet Jane'. :eek:
[FONT=Tahoma]"All I can do is be me ... whoever that is". Bob Dylan [/FONT]
# 9
ren
ren
01/19/2007 1:17 pm
Man, I was expecting a chance to list all the things that make me angry... but it's probably best not to go there... :eek:

I break strings sometimes when I'm stretching them in and trying a bit too hard... drag not having spares. The moral of the story, always buy twice as many strings as you think you need... :p

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 10
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/19/2007 1:29 pm
Originally Posted by: renMan, I was expecting a chance to list all the things that make me angry... but it's probably best not to go there... :eek:

I break strings sometimes when I'm stretching them in and trying a bit too hard... drag not having spares. The moral of the story, always buy twice as many strings as you think you need... :p

Buy em in bulk off eBay.You can usually get em cheaper than at the stores + no tax or gst for canadians.

Don't buy single strings at the music store. Theirs usually a reason they aren't in their original packaging (old/grey market/rusting)
Plus you can usually buy a whole pack for less than a few extra strings.
# 11
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/19/2007 5:02 pm
Originally Posted by: AkiraIt's rare that I break strings, I think I only broke one last year. Usually I can raise the guitar up in the air only holding the trem bar, and everything will hold up, even my tuning after I've stopped abusing it.

Of course I don't do it that often, just in case, ya know.

Man that's weird. I have to change my strings every night if I'm playing somewhere or I'm guaranteed to break one.
If it's just studio stuff, you can leave em for months as long as you don't mind putting up with the dull highs... but live... there's gotta be a fresh set on there or I'd be scared to play anything.
# 12
acapella
acapella
01/19/2007 5:04 pm
The only time I ever broke a string was when I was tuning my acoustic and had a total brain shutdown, and tried to tune the high e to G. Not for any reason, just because I was thinking it was supposed to be G. POW! But aside from that, never broke a one. :)
You go outside and practice screaming. We'll play music while you're gone.
# 13
grizzlymint
grizzlymint
01/19/2007 6:10 pm
On a side note, I was restringin my Squire Strat last week, and the bridge fell off. It was kinda funny when i just sat there with a puzzle look on my face with the trem bar in my hand. So yeah, I'm probably gonna need some knowledge from all you folks on reassembling that when the time roles around.
# 14
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
01/19/2007 7:04 pm
Haha, one string at a time when you're dealing with most trems. :D Something we all learn the hard way.
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

"If it feels right, play it. If it feels wrong, play it faster” - Magicninja
www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 15
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
01/19/2007 10:11 pm
Originally Posted by: magicninjaHaha, one string at a time when you're dealing with most trems. :D Something we all learn the hard way.

Not with strat type trems though.
"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace
# 16
iiholly
hmm
iiholly
hmm
01/21/2007 2:18 pm
Why would you ever learn the solo to "My Sharona"? Sorry had to throw that out there. :p

# 17

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.