Guitar tech's

force_of_shred
force_of_shred
01/18/2007 6:38 am
Where can a guy get the papers to be a guitar technician?

I havn't been able to locate any schools for this in Canada at all :confused: .

I am really interested.
" "this tone ain't workin for me" is the first thing a guitar player says when he hasn't done his homework"- Bob Rock
# 1
ren
ren
01/18/2007 2:12 pm
I'm not sure if there is a qualification for it.... my tech doesn't have any qualifications either.... :eek:

I think it's a case of starting with small jobs for a local shop, and building a reputation so you can go it alone... having a mate in a famous band who you can do work for would help... :D

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 2
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/18/2007 4:13 pm
Yeah, I've never met any guitar tech who had any qualifications other than being an electrician. The guitar stuff was usually learned on the job and they usually got the job because they were recommended.

Buy books. Get your hands on any technical info you can find, buy some old guitars and start restoring and fixing em up. When you get about 10 guitars beautifully restored, maybe rebuilt a couple of amps....tour with a couple of small time bands doing roadie stuff....put together a portfolio and a resume and start pounding on record company doors.
Eventually if you're good, you'll get noticed.
# 3
force_of_shred
force_of_shred
01/18/2007 7:36 pm
well I thought that as well but when I was in a music store recently I noticed that hanging on the wall near the guitar tech was aframed certificate that was apparently from Fender. I'm not sure where he got it or how.It just seemed logical to me that having that would make it easier get a job as a tech.

oh and I'm talking like "in store" tech's, I should have siad that before.
" "this tone ain't workin for me" is the first thing a guitar player says when he hasn't done his homework"- Bob Rock
# 4
ren
ren
01/18/2007 7:44 pm
He'll be an authorised Fender repairer I guess... They have lists of people they trust to do warranty repairs etc. I'd have a look on the Fender website for that... :cool:

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 5
aschleman
aschleman
01/18/2007 7:54 pm
Originally Posted by: force_of_shredWhere can a guy get the papers to be a guitar technician?

I havn't been able to locate any schools for this in Canada at all :confused: .

I am really interested.

I don't know how close you are to Michigan... but Galloup Guitar Hospital in Michigan offers one of the better Journeymen courses for guitar lutherie in the Nation... So maybe check that out... Also try to type in Lutherie schools into a search engine... It should give you something.

History on the Guitar Hospital... It was started by the one and only Dan Erlewine (The write of many books and now lead consultant for Stewart-MacDonald)... He founded it as The Guitar Hospital and Bryan Galloup worked under him for many many many years... All of the photos in Dan's books were taken at the Guitar Hospital... Dan finally retired and took the consultant job at Stew-Mac and Bryan took over... Pros all around the world still send their gear there today.
# 6
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/19/2007 1:10 am
Originally Posted by: renHe'll be an authorised Fender repairer I guess... They have lists of people they trust to do warranty repairs etc. I'd have a look on the Fender website for that... :cool:

Yeah... you'd probably end up going to the U.S. for that.
It feels so backward living in Canada sometimes.
# 7
force_of_shred
force_of_shred
01/19/2007 10:53 pm
Well I started doing some more searches and I think I found the jackpot.

check this out.

http://www.luthiers-international.com/

seems like a guitaraholic's perfect vacation. :D
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.