View post (Guitar amp speakers, Who has got an opinion on the best?)

View thread

axemaster911
axemaster911
01/17/2007 11:36 pm
Originally Posted by: aschlemanWhat PRS is trying to say is that guitar speakers aren't like regular stereo speakers in the way that with stereo speakers you have single output that can be used to judge allllll the speakers... Where as amp speakers are made in so many different varieties to appeal to all different types of people seeking different tones... Eminence does this about as best as anyone becasue they make two major varieties of speakers... They make British style speakers which tend to be a little warmer get great clean tone... don't respond quite as well to high gain situations but are great for classic rock, blues, hard rock... etc... They're basically an updated advnace on vintage Marshall speakers like the Green Labels that are so highly touted.... They're called the Red Coat variety and sport a Union Jack flag logo.... The Commonwealth genre of Eminence speakers are designed after America style music... They appeal to high gain good low end and great high end bite... They respond very well at high gains and often feature a large magnet to give them a wide range of output... They're geared for modern music... Metal, Hard Rock, and whatever else you can think of..... They don't nail the vintage tone like the Red Coats but they get awesome tone nonetheless....

I went for a Commonwealth 12 because I liked the added punch it gave my Blues Deluxe... so it gave me a strong speaker in an amp that gets awesome vintage tone... so I kind of got the best of both worlds.....

The best thing for you to do is seek out information on speakers... But I think everyone here will agree that the tone quest starts with guitars and amps... then goes to effects pedals... And you're just getting started with that... Then you get into speakers, tubes, cables, cabinets, strings, wiring, circuitry, blah blah blah... The tone quest is a never ending one...

But like I said... seek out the manufacturers of speakers... The main ones are Eminence and Celestion.... Go to their websites and check out all their products... Not sure about Celestion but Eminence does a great job of describing their speakers... They might even have sound samples... Emerse your mind in all things speakers and you'll be able to make your own opinion based on what tone you're looking for.... which leads me to a question....

What tone are you looking for??
It's best to have an idea where you're going in a situation where you're trying to get somewhere... haha

I know there's a difference from guitar amp speakers, and stereo speakers, but you made a dam good point on the type music, and tone requirements.
I have a vintage 60s model half stack with 4 x 10s. I dont want to blow the original speakers due to the amps value, and they are old, so I can just tell they cant handle the bassier distortion that I like.
I play metal, and hard rock, but I also love to switch between clean chord progressions, and high gain power chords somtimes with heavy pedal driven distortion.
Thats the tone requirements for my shop. :cool: