View post (Theory in Simple Terms)

View thread

dvenetian
dvenetian
01/19/2007 3:15 pm
Originally Posted by: axemaster911To be perfectly honest the circle of fifths Is something I have never quite understood, and im sure if properly explained it may shed light on alot of things, but what they are is still a mystery to me. And then how it can be applied to the fretboard is beyond me. As far as writing sheet music, and then sitting down and playing the guitar from sheet music is something I dont think happens to often. Most players play from memory, so tablature is in my opinion is most common for gutiarists who write down there creations.
And for me the diatonic scale laid out on a fretboard diagram I think is the easiest way for learning the note patters to study.
But I think a good common sense explanation of the circle of fifths function would most likely be beneficial to those who it could help, like me.
I'd like to understand it myself. :D

Let's start from the first step in understanding how the degree of notes relate.
Do you understand why G Major is the dominant of C Major? Or why C Major is the dominant of F Major?