View post (Theory in Simple Terms)

View thread

axemaster911
axemaster911
01/16/2007 5:44 am
Originally Posted by: dvenetianThere are some interesting statements in the above quote that may help eliminate some confusion when studying theory in simple terms.
First off, Knowing the intervals that make up a scale should be understood as a formula or a pattern ( the same pattern works for all notes that you start the interval formula on, ie. Major formula= Major Scale of the Starting note, minor formula= minor scale, Harmonic minor formula = etc.....).
Theory teaches you how to understand the connection between certain notes (Major, minor, 7th's, etc...) and how they complement each other or don't.
Second, a scale (Major, minor, etc......) will never have both sharp and flat notes mixed in the same scale. It will be one or the other.
Although it is mainly used in Staff (reading music) the # or b note will be used to eliminate confusion.
Example: G, G# would not be written to avoid having 2 G's. It would be G,Ab.
Make sense?

I try not to worry so much about what notes are being played, and concentrate more on staying within the diatonic pattern. I try to let my ear tell me what sounds good, and then when I have found the sound I like then write down the note structures in there lettered form for future reference. And when you get the key down pat even try incorporating chromatic notes out of the key for places where you might want to spice things up a bit.
Second it is my understanding that for example G#/Ab (which is after all is the same pitch) is G# if you are descending from G, or above, and Ab if you are ascending from A, or below. Therefore a scale can have sharps, and flats writen in the same piece of music depending on your direction of travel within the song.
If I am wrong on that set me straight, but I think learning the diatonic pattern in the key of your liking, and then playing around with note structures to find new crazy cool sounds is when the fun really begins!! :cool: