View post (The Disception of Metal)

View thread

Fret spider
Fret spider
01/10/2007 3:09 pm
Originally Posted by: BLS33Dude you need to stop reading guitar mags because they dont know anything about metal. You just named off some of the most over rated bands (Metallica Slipknot Trivium and Dragonforce). The guys in trivium cant even read sheet music and pretty much just copy metallica and pantera in all there songs, Metallica hasnt made a good album in a few thousand years, dragonforce cant play there crap live to save there lives and slipknot just sucks.

i dunno if i agree with you. ok. the coment trivium cant read sheat music. i would like to say reading music is a tool to writing good songs but it is not the only path. if you have a good educated ear, eg you can recognise intervals and such like wat need is there to write it down. i dont feel they rip of metalica and panterra, thats not to say they werent influenced by them but hey. and even if they did rip them off, good music doesnt have to be origonal. it has to be good.

metalicas recent albums were pretty bad, but that doesnt mean there old stuff wasnt good.

dragonforce may not be able to pull everythin off on stage but that doesnt make the music they wrote bad.

and slipnot... well i agree with you there they are sh#t :D

no offense meant with any of this i dont want to get into a slaggin match.

i do try and respect all genres of music, although i find rap and comercialpop hard to stomache.

for insatnce recently i made friends who was into classical music. which wasnt really my thing. but after listenin to some of it i began to apreciate it. some i feel is just boarin and is made for the uneducated listener to listen to but you also get some really interestin and strange pieces that are really good.

lastly i find many guitarests find it hard to apreciate music not played on there instrument. wich is natural in a way because we dont know how skillfull it is. but we really shouldnt think like that. i know i am a culprit of this as much as any but i am tryin to change :o .

ps i agree with the coment music doesnt have to be technically or harmonically complecated to be good.