View post (The Disception of Metal)

View thread

grizzlymint
grizzlymint
01/09/2007 5:01 am
Alright, I don't know what forum to put this in, feel free to move as needed. But anyways....

I talk with these real extreme metal heads that I used to work with. They've expressed hate for essentially every genre of music, aside from vocal chord breaking, drop tuned down to hell metal. I was talking about Black Label Society and Zakk Wylde one night. Apparently thats southern rock. One guy referred to the virtuosos as "extreme sports athletes." Obviously hes just ignorant and hasn't actually listened to Satch, Vai, or the rest of the gang who incorporates a lot of thought and feeling into their music. Just because they do it fast doesn't make it not musical.

About the only bands I've heard them express love for are Killswitch Engage, Unearth, and Dragonforce. Who all are of course metal or metalcore.

But it still boggles my mind. They don't even seem to appreciate the roots of their genre. Sabbath and Testament are classic rock. Metallica and Megadeth are crap.

One day Steve Vai's "Building the Church" came on the satellite radio and I told them what song it was and one guy replied "Steve Vai can build my balls."

Is there something I'm missing with metal? Does being a hardcore metal head mean you have to shun every other genre and style of music and pledge allegiance to Satan? I mean c'mon. Its all music in one form or another.

Those of you who consider yourselves metal heads, enlighten me on what you think metal is. I've heard multiple definitions, and some I'm sure couldn't give me an answer because they don't actually know or have an appreciation for the musical intervention within. Some just hop on the metal trains because of the image associated with it. But all of us being musicians here should have some insight.

Thoughts, comments?
Let your soul shine. Its better than sunshine. Its better than moonshine. Damn sure better than rain.