View post (Speed for talent?)

View thread

educatedfilm
educatedfilm
09/18/2001 8:02 pm
hmmm... i feel a bit stupid now, the whole point of my thread was to say that emotion is numero Uno, but it looks like everyone already knew that...doh!
I dont listen to as mcuh classical guitar as i'd like to, and dont really know that much, but find classical and celtic alot more "involving" than listening to someone shreding their fingers off...
The angry music thing has been going for a long while, it's just got popular lately, and i dont think there is a real reason for it, it's just fashion, and thats one of musics big problem is its massivly affected by what is popular so you get one group who do something really ace, and then everyone else tries to do the same... saying that though the music scene at the minute int' that bad, ignoring some of the rap-matal, nu-metal,and new-school punk...
I dont "get" bebop, i dont mind jazz, but bebop sound more agressive and abrassive, i'd like some guidance on the particular topic...
I know this is another thread altogether, but in the Satch stuff the guitar has the "leading role" if you will, but in some of the stuff i listen to, it's complementry to everything else, but you might get away with out it...
the cool thing is about music it comes down to taste in the end...(which really kills this debate...DOh!)
(didn't charlie parker die of a herion over dose?)

"think of Vai or Satriani. They might spend ages constructing this tune, but it still sounds like wank to anyone from outside the guitar community."
Zepplin has got it spot on there... we're guitarists, but we don't just play with our selves (ahem) or other guitarists, we entertain teh non-guitarists too, and they out number us... so whats the point of playing so fast that no-one gets it.