mic problems

Weslaba
My Baby's a Fender!
Weslaba
My Baby's a Fender!
01/05/2007 11:51 pm
So my new mics arrived today, and i'm having a little trouble. One of the mics I bought is a Sennheiser e609, and the other is a MXL 990. The e609 is mic'd to my fender deville, and then run through an MP tube preamp and from there into a laptop. It sounds great, but no matter what I do the sound is always panned completely into the left speaker. I also tried vocals with the 990 and the same thing is happening. Is this supposed to happen, and if not, what can I do to change this?
"Gypsy flies from coast to coast, knowing many loving none." -Allmans

SoundClick Page

Myspace Page (Add Me) (I'm better than you... Or am I :eek: )
# 1
Weslaba
My Baby's a Fender!
Weslaba
My Baby's a Fender!
01/06/2007 4:37 pm
I've continued to experiment with trying to find anything that works, and I know that it's not anything to do with the mics. I used the preamp out from the amp, and the same thing happened still. Somewhere from the preamp to the computer something is going on to pan everything out to the left, but I have no clue why. Any ideas?

SoundClick Page

# 2
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
01/11/2007 8:27 pm
The reason it's going to the left channel, is because you're plugging a mono source into a stereo input. You might could try using a TRS 1/4" (stereo) cable from your preamp to your line in on your computer. Another option would be to record it like it is (to the left channel) and then render the track to mono, and this should put things in the center.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 3
Weslaba
My Baby's a Fender!
Weslaba
My Baby's a Fender!
01/11/2007 11:05 pm
Thanks. Theres no 1/4 line in on the computer (laptop) I use though, and I'd like to have everything in stereo if possible.

SoundClick Page

# 4
Bluegrasslimey
Bluegrasslimey
01/13/2007 7:56 am
Originally Posted by: WeslabaThanks. Theres no 1/4 line in on the computer (laptop) I use though, and I'd like to have everything in stereo if possible.

You could try mic through mixer output using a 2 into one splitter or get a gnx4 and go usb in. gnx3 is cheaper though and you get the extra benifit of software for recording mic inputs and line inputs on the gnx and they are all 1/4 ins with a pair of xlr outs. i set mine up this way.

GNX IN TO PC VIA USB

GUITAR IN TO GNX VIA THE GUITAR INPUT
DRUMS, KEYBOARD, MICS AND BASS INTO GNX VIA A 6 CHAN MIXER USING THE STEREO OUTS FROM MIXER INTO THE LINE INS ON GNX.
PERFECT STEREO ALL THE TIME.

Also with the recording software you can get hold of additional tools for mixing . I mix down to .wav and then do a fianl process in wavelab and convert to mp3.

I have done 11 albums worth this way and it works for me. Oh it took 18 months to dream up all taht garbage but i didn't say i was a musician. :D
:eek: [FONT=Century Gothic]Just groove, ya know ya wanna?????[/FONT] :eek:
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.