Studio Time...?

WrigglerUk
WrigglerUk
01/05/2007 6:57 pm
Well, I'm 50 in a couple of weeks...

My loving wife has paid for me to have a 2 hour session in a pro studio, and I'm kinda nervous - I don't play that well :o so any advice is welcome, if anyone has done this kind of thing before. I guess they will be helpfull and wont take it too seriously. I do think they will expect that I have a good idea of what I want to do beforehand, so I need to choose a song to work on over the next weeks...

I'm looking forward to it - I think!
Can you play "Far Far Away?"

Yes - how far would you like?
# 1
Superhuman
Superhuman
01/05/2007 8:59 pm
There are 2 ways of looking at this. A) Do you want to use the time to learn how to setup and mic an amp etc and get a bit more experience as to how it's done? If so it will be unlikely that you will actually record anything substantial B) or do you want to actually come away with a recording that you can listen to? If you choose this method you can spend time learning more about editing and mixing as opposed to recording.

2 hours is pretty tight. If you have the means at home, record a bunch of takes of each of the part you intend to record in wav format 44Khz, then burn them to disk and get the engineer to edit them as best he can (cut and splice to get tighter riffs) - then get a quick mixdown. Believe me, it takes a long time to EQ something and set up compression etc. If you go into a studio and have never done so before you will end up blowing the first hour on getting setup and will be so stressed out for the next hour that you won't get anything done properly. IF you are rusty at playing and especially if you are under pressure timewise this is the best method to getting the most out of your studio time.
1) record everything at home DI (via USB or firewire if possible) or through a mic (if you have good hardware) at the highest quality you can muster - bring at least 4 takes per riff - the engineer can edit them and piece the track together.
2) You won't get much time to tweak the drums, just bring the drums as a single track burnt to wav format. If you don't have drum software, download some loops at the correct bpm and use them as guide tracks for keeping time. You can change them at another time.
3) have realistic expectations! DOn't consider recording more than one song, if you do (unless you are Steve Vai) you will end up with nothing good
4) ask can you meet the engineer sooner rather than later to explain what you want to achieve and ask him for tips on how to get the most out of your session. Be very clear about the fact that your playing is a but shaky and you are likely to have many many takes to get something right.
5) When you record at home name each riff and part so they will be easily understandable to the engineer (eg, introtake1, introtake2, bridge1, etc.) - remember they have to be imported into ProTools or Cubase and arranged.
6) Write out a map of the song so you can quickly see where everything is supposed to go - it's amazing how you can forget what's supposed to happen next in a song when you are under pressure for time!
7) If you are going to record anything in the studio, make sure you change the strings on your guitar at least 3 days before the session and stretch them out, then tune it up as best you can (you will have to tune and retune a number of times during the first 3 days of changing strings). Stringing a guitar or even tuning a guitar up in the studio is a HUGE waste of time - IF you choose to record your guitar at the studio
8) Know exactly what you are going to play - all of the melodies and harmonies etc. Having to work out how to play a part will lose valuable time - unless you are an accomplished player with a well trained ear.
9) When you are finished ask the engineer to give you a dvd with the finished track in mp3 format & wav format and more importantly, ask that he give you each indicudual track within the song as a seperate wav file too - that way you can upload them to your computer and play around with them at home (add melodies, solos etc and even mix them into the finished piece) or you can even bring them to another studio at a later date.

Will there be vocals or bass? IF so, you will probably need to consider a second session - that way you canb do guitars and bass one day and vocals and mixing the next.

I'm not trying to daunt you, it's just that I've been there before when I started out and I wasted a lot of sessions amd I approach thing a lot differently now. Now that I can actually play well I just go into the studio and record as quickly as possible so I can spend more time at the mix.

An engineer will disagree because they love the art of recording but I think that you should bring your own wav files if you want to be able to bring something home that you can play to your wife and friends. Hope that helps.
# 2
Bar Chord Nick
Full Access
Bar Chord Nick
Full Access
01/05/2007 9:33 pm
WOW Superhuman you go me nervous. :D
# 3
WrigglerUk
WrigglerUk
01/05/2007 10:56 pm
Whimper...!

Thanks for that input. That's exactly the kind of structured summing up that I would have had no clue about. As for what I'm aiming for, B is definitely the way to go! No way would Mrs Wriggler accept my not bringing home a song :eek: And in truth I'm not expecting it to be an instructional experience except at a very superficial level - as you say, 2 hours isn't enough for that.

Now I'm REALLY nervous!

# 4
Ryan Buckner
Ryan Buckner
01/06/2007 4:58 am
Although it would be pretty difficult to actually record a whole song in 2 hours..You should make sure you already have perfected every part of your song before you go into the studio. This is something very important, that even professionals don't always do.

Also, I'm sure your wife would understand if you couldn't record a song given the information you now have. Just make sure to talk to her about it.

Take care
Ryan Buckner, Ysrafel
# 5
Bluegrasslimey
Bluegrasslimey
01/06/2007 10:04 am
Ok here's my advice.

Forget all the technical stuff you are there to put a track down. Your job will be to play and sing. Leave the tech stuff to the man tht's being paid to do it. You will get your say in the final sound but the engineer will know his studio so trust him. I have recorded in a studio with a band and we did a 5 song demo in three hrs including mixing and burninig on to discs.

So just go in with a prepared song. Run through it a couple of times to get a feel and record it. You'll get that done in less taht an hour so you could get three songs queued up incase you have time.

JUST HAVE LOTS OF FUN WITH IT.
:eek: [FONT=Century Gothic]Just groove, ya know ya wanna?????[/FONT] :eek:
# 6
WrigglerUk
WrigglerUk
01/06/2007 1:51 pm
Thanks for the advice guys. As usual when you look a little closer the goalposts move a bit! This is a 'studio experience' package aimed primarily at vocalists, so I get to use a pre-selected BT or use my own ( which will be what I do I think ) and at the studio add the vox and lead guitar. No mixing of multi-tracks etc.

Whatever, I'll have fun doing it. And naturally the results will be posted for all to have a laugh at! :D

I just have to choose a song...

# 7
quickfingers
quickfingers
01/08/2007 7:15 am
something you made would most definitely be the way to go. i dont know if your a songwriter, but maybe something that you crafted and put your touch on would make for a better momento to take home with you, rather than a solo over a bt or whatever. but then again, i could be wrong...if you know what you want, then disregard my advice. haha. i would just love to get my voice under some quality mics and vocal software, thats all. make the most of the opportunity and whatnot.
"the more you know, the less you know. I don't feel like i know shit anymore, but i love it."
-Mike Stern

PERSONAL WANKAGE
# 8
DAMAGED ONE
DAMAGED ONE
01/11/2007 9:23 pm
Our guitarist Burned up 5 hours on solo takes for one song :eek:
The Mind Is A Terrible Think To Waste.
# 9
WrigglerUk
WrigglerUk
02/22/2007 12:46 pm
Just a belated thanks to all for the advice etc.
I did indeed enjoy the experience, it was too short...

I ended up just doing a simple song ( 3000 miles from here by Ian Hunter ) that I've always liked, did a very simplistic backing at home ( very different from the original ) and then innumerable vocal takes... it isn't perfect but I like it, and its personal for me. Sorry guys, but there's no guitar playin' to speak of! :( it just didn't warrant it!

Thanks again to all.

WrigglerUk

# 10
da_ardvark
da_ardvark
02/23/2007 7:28 pm
Well I think the important thing is, you had fun and prolly learned a thing or two along the way
# 11
quickfingers
quickfingers
02/23/2007 9:50 pm
not bad, man. singing is always one of those things i never took into my creative repotire (actual voice leading, rather than screaming into a mic with punk bands) but ive since improved alot on my vocal stylings. i thought the song was well-done. good job.
"the more you know, the less you know. I don't feel like i know shit anymore, but i love it."
-Mike Stern

PERSONAL WANKAGE
# 12
WrigglerUk
WrigglerUk
02/23/2007 11:03 pm
Thank you! Amazing what a good engineer can do for you...! :D

# 13
Blade2005
Blade2005
02/26/2007 10:30 pm
Just to add to this.. if you ever do have a band and the urge to record I know of a great little studio in Oxfordshire (uk) very friendly and cheap as chips!
# 14

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.