Joe Holmes

guitargod420
guitargod420
09/17/2001 12:12 am
has anyone ever heard of a guitar player named joe holmes i think he used to play with ozzy or still might on some occasions just wondering ?????
# 1
emory
emory
09/25/2001 2:50 pm
Yes,
Joe Holmes is a past OZZY guitarist... in fact he may be his present guitarist. Joe Plays a Stratocaster, (hard to beleive considering the heavy sound he makes) and also VERY noteworthy, is that joe Homlmes was trained by Randy Rhodes HIMSELF!!! Back in the early 80's. Interetsting to note also, that Joe DID NOT play on the Ozzmosis CD, because the CD was completed by Zakk Wild, before Zakk quit to run off and play with Gun's and Roses. (However, GNR then desolved before Zakk was able to play with the band..too bad so sad)

I think you can find a lot more about him at Guitar Worlds website. There was an interview in December of 1996 as I recall.

Emory
# 2
Skull Dragon
Skull Dragon
12/01/2001 8:50 pm
Actually....

The year was 1995... *cues flashback* Zakk was trying out for GNR because he and Duff were doing demos, and Axl came over. But, Ozzy asked Zakk to play with him on the tour. Zakk couldn't give either party a definant answer, so he did neither and formed Black Label Society.

Joe Holmes is a jackass. He goes around saying "I took lessons from Randy Rhoads." So what? He is in a little Wylde-Rhoads bubble. He trys to replicate instead of innovate. He doesn't have his own sound, tone, or style. He is just a wannabe.

...and Zakk Wylde is Ozzys current guitarist

# 3
lalimacefolle
lalimacefolle
12/01/2001 10:45 pm
man, he might be a jackass, but he has played with a bunch of dang good musicians.... I'd like to be called a jackass, be a wannabe, and shred on some records like he did, does, and will...
I think you're kind of too sure of your positions....
# 4
Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin
12/02/2001 11:41 pm
With the exception of Randy, all Ozzy guitarists have just been Tony Iommi wannabes. Zakk was when he started with Ozzy but developed his style to his own. The other two have just been Iommi tribute acts.
www.gnr.com.ar
http://www.izzystradlin.tk/
# 5
guitargod420
guitargod420
12/07/2001 1:50 am
iommi wanna be's dude what the fu#k are you talking about and zakk has always had his own style nobody palys like him hes most definelty one of the best guitarist of all time and joe holmes KINDA plays like zakk but hes probably faster than zakk and about joe holmes always saying he took lessons from rhandy sh#t i would bragg about it to but zakk has always had his own style and hes just not a heavy metal guitarist hes done stuff with the allman brothers and all different styles of music
# 6
deliciouslymalicious
deliciouslymalicious
01/10/2002 11:58 pm
Well first off, I agree totally that Zakk has his own style. About Joe Holmes braggin about bein taught by Randy, well, i don't care who you are, if you were taught by Randy, you'd brag too. About not being innovative...you listen to the Lord of the Flies cd by Lizzy Borden. That's some of the wickedest guitar work i've seen, and Joe is what made Lizzy good, just for that cd cuz that's the only one he played on. It's foolish to call someone a wannabe just cuz they play like one of their idols....if that's what interests you...you play to that style only in your own way, which is what Joe does. But everyone is entitled to your opinion and to quote Shakespeare "I don't agree with what you say but I'll defend to the death your right to say it" But anyways, Zakk is god, Joe's a good guitar player and did well with ozzy. thank you all and good night

YOU CAN'T KILL ROCK AND ROLL!!!!!!!!!!!
# 7
joeyboy
joeyboy
05/03/2006 1:18 am
i knew joe personally. i took lessons with him in the mid 80's. he was a real nice guy. if i was broke he would let me come over for a free lesson. also, if you ever heard his band 'terriff' you would know that he is an original AND he could shred. if nybody has current info on him please post a reply. i would love to know that he is doing well.
# 8
jigsawlogic
jigsawlogic
06/29/2006 7:19 am
Joe is indeed doing well. I was introduced to him a few years ago, and we've been friends ever since. Your description of him is totally in line with my experience, in that he's as down-to-earth a person as you're likely to find, and very passionate about guitar.

Feel free to PM me with your info, and I'll pass it along to hiim.

Take care.
# 9
metalmaniac93
metalmaniac93
07/21/2006 8:07 pm
I was a huge fan of Joe and have seen him with DLR and 4 times with OZZY. I was wondering if he is still involved in music and if so, does he have any new recordings on the horizon? And to the other people that say Joe does not have his own style. He was actually playing guitar in a glorified cover band covering Randy's, Jake's, Zakk's and Tony's songs. It is kind of hard to have a style when you have to cove other peoples songs. Out of all of the OZZY's guitarists after Randy, I think Joe did the best job covering Randy's stuff.
# 10
absolution
absolution
08/20/2006 8:09 pm
Yes, he's still around. He has new material on the way, too. I won't say how I know this, but trust me when I say that it is both creative and heavy. He tears it up too, I know I can't play those solos.
# 11
JohnnyBlade
JohnnyBlade
07/13/2007 11:12 pm
I used to go to high school with Joe and we were good friends for a couple of years. You could say I introduced him to the 80s rock scene, dragging him and his hot sister to all the Motley Crue club shows before they were signed. He lost his idol Randy twice, once when Ozzy scooped him up, and again when that plane crashed. Always a friendly guy and I can't think of a bad thing to say about him. I only saw Joe play twice, on stage in the middle of the high school campus with some early teenage project. He was great then and definitely was showing signs of a distinct style. I think the guy who said he had to conform to covering other people's stuff with Ozzy and DLR got it right.
# 12
KoLdArKnEsS
KoLdArKnEsS
07/14/2007 5:55 pm
lol awesome bump on a year old thread, must be a google thing, a string of 1 post members out of no where to state they know Joe :p
By the pricking of my thumbs something wicked this way comes.............
# 13
rockonn91
rockonn91
07/14/2007 6:52 pm
hahahaha yeah, I was a tad surprised about that...

...I thought I was the only person who knew Joe. :D
JK :cool:

-Agile Guitars Enthusiast
# 14
JohnnyBlade
JohnnyBlade
07/17/2007 7:32 pm
Yeah, I didn't realize these were so old until after I posted. Yet it generated your posts - go figure! BTW, it was more about defending the man and less about trying to state I knew him.
# 15
absolution
absolution
08/07/2007 12:15 am
I'm just happy to pass on information about Joe and to let everyone know that he is doing very well. He has a beautiful daughter now and is working on new material which should be coming out soon. :cool:
# 16
gipraw
gipraw
09/26/2007 8:48 pm
I was on stage with Joe Holmes and Ozzy Osbourne (no kidding). Check out the video on YouTube. Search - "gipraw" in YouTube
# 17
JVOLTAMP67
JVOLTAMP67
10/02/2007 6:06 pm
The Problem With Joe Is He's So Worried About What People Are Gonna Think Of His Music,but He Needs To Have Zakk's Attitude To Playing Music, Get As Much Music Out There,with As Many Bands As You Can Cause The Window He Has Gone Through Doesnt Happen To Many.like Anything You Do In Life There's Gonna But People That Like It And Don't Like It .that's The Chance You Take,and The Road You Choose,take Advantage Of It Man.i To Wish He Would Of Played On The Dte Cd ,and Those 3 Songs Of His Are The Best On It.i Blame Sharon For Not Giving Him The Chance To Do It,because She Is The Reason Why Joe Is No Longer With Ozzy.dishonest And Greedy Is What She Is ,just Look What She Did To Bob And Lee,rerecording Bass And Drums On Blizzard So They Can't Get Royalty Checks For There Work.then When Joe Did Those Songs For Dte Got A % Of Sales Before Their Mtv Show Came Out And Went Through The Roof With Sales.then She Wanted Joe To Get A Smaller % And Buy Him Out.which He Didnt (good For You!!!!!!!!!!!)that Says Alot About Sharon Not Ozzy, He Dosent Know Any Better.
# 18

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.