View post (Questions about the Ibanez tremolo)

View thread

Vegas Wierdo
Vegas Wierdo
12/28/2006 8:38 pm
I know Ibanez gets a lot of flak, but every time I pick one up at the store, I find that I can shred on the thing like no other guitar. I find the neck on the S-series to be ideal. I'm guessing it's more or less the same on the RG series. Neck feel is extremely important to me because I have small hands and I like to do weird stuff.

Anyways, I tried an S series the other night and I saw that it had an Ibanez proprietary trem. I see that a lot of their models have this same trem. So naturally, I have some questions.

- Is it as much of a pain in the @$$ as Floyd Rose? The S series I tried seemed to have an LSR Roller Nut as opposed to a locking nut, though perhaps my memory cheats me. I think I remember seeing bridge tuner buttons, but I could be wrong. I do remember seeing screws, which indicates that you have to snip off the ball ends... which to me was the biggest pain of all.

- Does it go two ways instead of just one like the Floyd? It was hard for me to tell because floor models don't have arms.

- What about in terms of sustain/tone? Does it get sucked dry like with FR?

I think what I would do is get a hardtail RG or S, and maybe retrofit it with a Kahler later on. But that limits my options by quite a bit.

Thoughts?