The metal writing process...

analyzing_Nny
analyzing_Nny
12/26/2006 4:56 am
For those of us who are "metal" inclined, I'd like to ask a simple question - how goes your writing process???

I've read numerous books, and I've talked with numerous people (non-genre specific) regarding the songwriting process. A lot of people start with chord progressions, then move onto melody or whatever...

I want to see what you do as a member of the heavier side of guitar... is there any difference? I know a lot of metal is riff-based chug-a-chug music... I'm still curious though.

Any input is greatly appreciated!!!
# 1
speedpicker88
speedpicker88
12/26/2006 6:03 pm
well 80% of the songs I write have the "chug chug" your talking about. I use a lot of Palm muting in my songs.
First off, I ge the entire song down on guitar, the intro, verses, chorus, bridge, ending, all of that stuff. Then I find out how I can make the words flow to the riffs I came up with, then I find a song subject then I let the words flow from there, a lot of people think Metal is hard genre to write songs to due to the rapidly changing guitars, but I find it easy, it just takes practice I suppose, but thats my process right there.
"Fire, to being whipping dance of the dead, blackened is the end, to being whipping dance of the dead, color our world Blackened."
# 2
DAMAGED ONE
DAMAGED ONE
12/26/2006 7:06 pm
I just come up with say three riffs and make the verse fit one the chours fit one and one to solo over I try to sing the lyrics to the riffs I come up with.
The Mind Is A Terrible Think To Waste.
# 3
Bluegrasslimey
Bluegrasslimey
01/13/2007 6:35 am
I write the lyrics first. Most of my Metal/rock influenced music is whitesnake esque to a degree. So i get lyrics. then sit with them to work out the chord progression for verse and chorus, add a bridge progression leading in to solo riff. When i got that i work out the intro so that it fits with the song noting the chord progressions and rhythm i am using. Then it's protraks and recording one track at a time. I play all the instruments on my music so making good stuff is painstaking. Oh my actual singing, well i won't win american idol.
:eek: [FONT=Century Gothic]Just groove, ya know ya wanna?????[/FONT] :eek:
# 4

01/14/2007 12:51 pm
I use drum loops to start off. I put together a simple repeating beat then I jam over it. This is how it all start, getting that first riff down.

Once I have the first first I record it and try to find what would come up next.

Once I have 2 riffs I decide which is the verse and which is the chorus. Normally I`ll keep the one that as the more punch for the chorus. Then comes time to find a good bridge section.

When I have a verse-chorus-bridge section, I sit down and start thinking about composition. How do I structure my song. Depending on the riff, it might call for a long intro, long bridge, multitrack guitar parts... anythings goes.

Once I have my structure down I start making the drum track (using loops), record the rhythm guitars, record the bass. Then it`s time to put in solos.

I only do instrumental (or instruMETAL lol ) so there`s solo all the way through.
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.