Absorbing someone's train of thoughts...

Joseph
Joseph
09/14/2001 4:13 am

Do you guys feel that you necessarily have to absorb a musicians way of thinking to enjoy his or her music? Based on their religion, or overall message?

When it comes to music and religion, both go together naturally, because this is something that is indebted into our souls, that natural feeling inside of us. A lot of us feel the need to choose a certain relgion because of the way our parents feel, or what seems appropriate. However, I think that inside all of us we have that natural inclination to go one way, despite how our parents think, it's all up to us to explore us many options in life and go with our heart and what feels right.

Music is definitely meant to ease your soul, however on some occasions it tends to control our minds. Because instead of relying on what we naturally consider to be good, we tend to go with the crowd, and how everyone else feels, but by doing so, we are merely cheating ourselves. Our lives are what we make of them, and through music we can definitely find ourselves in more ways than one.

To speculate that Radiohead provokes specific emotions for everyone, well that's a long shot, because music affects everyone differently. Because of our experiences in life and the way certain songs play a big part in our lives, I think that's how we can decide what types of music are meant for our mind and soul. Music is what we make of it, and sometimes it what makes us who we are today.

If you go by the opinions of others, then you're cheating yourself, you have to create your own memories, despite the constant arguments we have with our family and friends. You just have to learn to trust yourself.

-Joseph
www.ragmagazine.com
"Swoop and soar like the blues angels."
# 1
chris mood
High Bandwidth
chris mood
High Bandwidth
09/15/2001 10:14 pm
I feel you should never judge the art based upon the artist. I know alot of people who have felt passionately about someones music and then have ended up meeting them and feeling discouraged by the encounter.
I have had the chance to meet some very famous guitar players; Joe Satriana, Steve Vai, Pat martino, Jimmy Bruno, Scott Henderson, and Eric Johnson. Most of these guys where very cool and friendly, but a few where alittle unpleasnt, does this mean I should deny there music and capabilities?

Enjoy the music for the music, and if it touches you in a special place thats cool. If you find yourself wanting to find out more about the artist-go ahead, but don't let it affect your veiw on your opinion of the art.

# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.