Behringer Mixers?

heknowsnothing
heknowsnothing
12/12/2006 8:32 pm
Is the Behringer XENYX 1202FX mixer a good buy? I want to simply record me and my band using my laptop. I want to just plug the band in and record.

This is fine for the drums (I think) but for the guitars, would it be best to mic the amps? Use the the on-board fx? Or get a seperate FX pedal *POD or something similar*?

Thanks
Im not ok. Im not okhayhay. Im not ok.
Im not O f****n K.
# 1
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
12/13/2006 12:27 am
Hey dude

Well Behringer is not the best in the world however it is very cheap.

How are you planning to record? Running a stereo line out of the mixer into a sound card or the laptop ? To do this you will want some sort of audio software however if you are only recording stereo, you should be able to download something to sort you out. Their are plenty of posts on this subject in this section of the Gt forum.

The most critical thing you are going to face is mic choice and placement.

You might want to consider using a pair of small diaphragm condensers set up as a stereo pair. Their are many ways and positions for stereo pairs of mics (ie. OTRF or X-Y) however you will have to experiment with what works best for you.

Here is a link to some stereo miking info:

http://www.prosoundweb.com/studyhall/shure/mics/stereo/techniques.php

All that said you may want to use a stereo channel strip (ART make a really good one check out the TPS / DPS systems) rather than a mixer, you may well end up getting more bang for your buck. You could save even more money by going second hand !

What microphones are you planning on using ?

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/page/shop/flypage/product_id/6711

I have three of the AKG c1000s in my mic locker and I have not been disappointed.
http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/page/shop/flypage/product_id/1503

I have used then individually on piano, Backing vox and various drums. Im not sure how well they'd do for critical vox however for the price they are excellent. Rode (NT1a and NT2as) and studio projects make some really good cheaper mics also !
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 2
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
12/13/2006 3:18 am
> Well Behringer is not the best in the world however it is very cheap.

Ya don't like Behringer? Weird.
I think they're awesome for the price. I use the Eurorack 802a on a daily basis and it's nice & quiet, has 8 channels and phantom power. Lot's of inputs and outputs etc...
# 3
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
12/13/2006 3:45 am
I would go with one of the Yamaha MG series mixers. I've got the MG 12/4 and love it to bits! It's extremely versatile, and the pre's sound nice as well. Good price too! I would stay away from mixers with built in effects. You can do so much better, and get more for your money, with an external effects processor (if you find that you really need one, but you shouldn't). Plus, the lack of built in effects clears up the signal chain a bit more within the mixer. Behringer works pretty good for the money though. I only resort to them as a last option though. I do, however, love the DEQ2496! It is a really good EQ (graphic, parametric, and dynamic), and also has a usable compressor/expander/limiter, a spectrum analyzer, and a feedback destroyer (never used that though).
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 4
Bar Chord Nick
Full Access
Bar Chord Nick
Full Access
12/13/2006 4:17 am
I have a Behringer 1202FX mixer for my little home studio.The mixer works great for my needs but don't buy it for the effects. I think I bought mine for $80 US new. It has +48v phantom power and 4 mic inputs. I run my podxt through it in stereo, an Alesis sr16 Drum Machine (in stereo), a Korg PX4, and my computer into it. They all feed into my power amp to my speakers. The effects might be ok for Drums or vocals but not guitar effects. I think it's a good piece for the price. They offered the 1202 without effects for a few bucks less when I bought this but I couldn't find anyone with it in stock. I suspect it was being discontinued.
# 5
quickfingers
quickfingers
12/13/2006 4:39 am
Originally Posted by: schmange> Well Behringer is not the best in the world however it is very cheap.

Ya don't like Behringer? Weird.
I think they're awesome for the price. I use the Eurorack 802a on a daily basis and it's nice & quiet, has 8 channels and phantom power. Lot's of inputs and outputs etc...

i have the same thing. got it for like 25 bucks used, and works perfectly fine for my modest recording equipment.
"the more you know, the less you know. I don't feel like i know shit anymore, but i love it."
-Mike Stern

PERSONAL WANKAGE
# 6
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
12/13/2006 10:57 am
i disagree with their marketing / R&D policy which is:

Take everyone else's hard won technology, that they have developed (and payed for) and reverse engineer it, make clones as cheaply as possible and sell as many as you can.

This is bad for the industry. However if you want a cheap bit of kit that may not last to long, well they may be for you.

They are having their asses sued of for non QC compliance in the US at the moment. Make what you will of that. Like I said I still use their kit, but just not in my critical pathway.

All that said their are a number of professional engineers that I know well and respect immensely who use Behringer kit on a daily basis. However having been through a bunch of Behringer outboard gear (preamps, gates & compressors) I don't regret upgrading ! Their is not much similarity between a Focusrite pre or an Avalon pre and a Behringer. They just sound completely different ! They are also at very different price points.

If you really want a damming account of Behringer, check out the subject at www.homerecording.com. You may want to put on flame proof pants !

Behringer kit is great for starting out on and getting your feet wet with though don't be surprised if you end up selling it and upgrading in 12 months time!
# 7
MFerguson
MFerguson
12/13/2006 8:16 pm
My experience with Behringer is good. If it works coming out of the box it will contunue to work. If it is broken out of the box, send it back and get your money back-don't monkey around with service. If you buy from a reputable retailer or on line merchant you should be ok.

But getting to your REAL question...the 1202 gives you 4 mics and 2 lines in.

The USB out will get it to your laptop. So it should work...

But...
Depending on how many folks are in your band, how many sing, and how many have line outs on their amps you could get a decent live recording off it, but not demo quality or anything. Good for reference or maybe getting a gig in a bar.

There are 4 of us: that takes 4 vocal mics, 3 instrument mics (2 guitars, 1 bass) and 6 mics on the drums.

If you are recording each part separately, then mixing it down, 4 mics is kinda light for the drums, but could work.

We use a ub1204 for main mixer and use the effects for reverb and a little chorus only on the vocals. Instrments have a sub mixer and the drums have a sub mixer, and these go in the line in's. Records us well enough to get work.
# 8
heknowsnothing
heknowsnothing
12/13/2006 10:43 pm
Ok, I'm now looking at one of these 2. Yes, they are still Behringer, but they appear to suit my needs more. I will mic my amp, so I don't need the effects.

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/behringer-ubb-1002/69289

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/behringer-xenyx-1202/70277
Im not O f****n K.
# 9
MFerguson
MFerguson
12/15/2006 12:52 pm
WAIT!!!! I WAS WRONG!!!!

I am sorry, I looked up the wrong model. The 1202 or the other mixer you are looking at DO NOT have USB interface. You will need another piece of equipment to get the sound out of your mixer into your computer.

Sorry. (hope its not too late)
# 10
heknowsnothing
heknowsnothing
12/15/2006 9:01 pm
your not too late. Can somebody please advise a mixer that DOES have a USB interface please?
Im not O f****n K.
# 11
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
12/15/2006 11:12 pm
http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/page/shop/flypage/product_id/5954
# 12
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
12/15/2006 11:15 pm
get at least one LDC for your main vocal. The Rode NT1a is a good choice and will sound much better than an SM58.

You will also be able to get buy with several SM57s for guitars, bases and drums.
# 13
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
12/17/2006 3:18 am
About the Alesis MultiMix USB... If I remember correctly, their USB hookup only sends a stereo signal to your computer, and not each individual channel separately. So, the most you could do is record one stereo track, or 2 mono tracks. They do however, make a firewire mixer that has the ability to send each individual channel to its own track simultaneously. You can see it >HERE<. If your laptop doesn't have a firewire port, you can always get a firewire pcmcia card. I got >this one< to be able to hook my soundcard to my laptop, and it works perfectly. It's got a 4-pin FW hookup, a 6-pin FW hookup, and 2 USB hookups. Plus, you can plug an AC adapter to it if what you're plugging to it is powered by the USB or FW.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 14
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
12/17/2006 5:02 am
yep, you are absolutely right mate, however as a starter with out loadsa condenser mics, a nice space to record in and shiny preamps, is it a big deal ??

MOTU make a USB 2 version of the 828 mk II (that I use) that will give you 20 channels of 16/44.1 however it will cost !

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/page/shop/flypage/product_id/8477

It has very nice converters, lots of routing options and many different digital and analogue interfaces however it is a long way from Behringer !!
# 15
Superhuman
Superhuman
12/19/2006 12:30 am
Also check out the M-Audio Delta 1010, it has 10 ins and 10 outs (8 x 1/4" and 2 x spdif - you can always use a quality xlr jack on a 1/4" if needs be) so you can mic a whole band live if you want or set up a serious amount of mics for a large drum kit http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Delta1010-main.html. Great piece of gear and very well priced considering the quality (very nice preamp and zero latency). If you get one of those and record direct into Reaper www.reaper.jm (if you don't already have a recording/editing solution), then you have a kick ass setup without having to spend too much. Check out the reviews online, I have one and it's perfect for me. I run a 1010 with SX3 or Reaper for recording/editing/mixing. It also supports midi and has SPDIF so you can hook up a lot of extra gear if you want (eg outboard rack gear for pre and post fx). One thing though, you will want to have a powerful laptop to be able to record multi-tracks simultaneously without any glitches.
# 16
heknowsnothing
heknowsnothing
12/22/2006 10:06 pm
you guys can never agree on anything! I have decided, that for a starter recording home studio, I will get the alesis multimix, I am going to get the firewire to record in stereo and get the adpater because my laptop has no firewire port. Thanks for the help everyone, I will let you know how it goes
Im not O f****n K.
# 17
Superhuman
Superhuman
12/23/2006 6:59 pm
Originally Posted by: heknowsnothingyou guys can never agree on anything!

:p At least you know the advice you get from the guys here is mostly from first hand experience with the gear they mention. There is such a huge variety of choices out there it's actually rare to find others with the exact same setup. Best of luck with the Alesis, you should write a review in a few months when you kow how to use it well.
# 18

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.