Opinions folks

lyricchic
lyricchic
12/12/2006 4:03 am
Ok, I'm going to let you all know how pathetic I am, b/c I need the advice.

I am surrounded by females. Every day. Constantly. Incessantly. All-girls school run by Catholic nuns.

However, I have been given the opportunity to play a song at a school full of males. How lovely.

I've narrowed it down (with the choices I've been given) to either

"True" from Ryan Cabrera

or

"Kryptonite" - Creed

The former I'd use an accoustic for and the latter I'd stick with the electric.

Honestly guys, which'll make a better hit with a bunch of teenage guys? I don't want to screw this up.
Don't worry. I shred.
# 1
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
12/12/2006 4:17 am
Originally Posted by: lyricchicOk, I'm going to let you all know how pathetic I am, b/c I need the advice.

I am surrounded by females. Every day. Constantly. Incessantly. All-girls school run by Catholic nuns.

However, I have been given the opportunity to play a song at a school full of males. How lovely.

I've narrowed it down (with the choices I've been given) to either

"True" from Ryan Cabrera

or

"Kryptonite" - Creed

The former I'd use an accoustic for and the latter I'd stick with the electric.

Honestly guys, which'll make a better hit with a bunch of teenage guys? I don't want to screw this up.

Your two X chromosomes will go over well of their own accord judging by the fact that there an all guys school. However, if I saw a chick with an electric guitar, that'd be all for me.

By the way, Kryptonite is by Three Doors Down, not Creed.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 2
earthman buck
earthman buck
12/12/2006 5:07 am
I don't know the first song at all, but I would say play whatever is more sexy-like. Hate to sound like a pig, but it's all about the sexiness. That's what'll win you guy-fans. ;)
# 3
Scotttaylor72
Scotttaylor72
12/12/2006 1:09 pm
+1 for 3DD.
# 4
ren
ren
12/12/2006 3:31 pm
Mmmmm....

Women and guitars.... I'm with Jolly.... play an electric and just rock out.... performance is all about attitude. Play like you mean it and the guys will think you rock anyway.... And girls who rock are fit....

As an insight into the male brain that you're probably all familiar with... two lists go around, one for blokes on 'how to be a perfect husband', and one for women on 'how to be a perfect wife'. The perfect husband list has like 300 things on it, while the perfect wife list simply says - 'arrive naked, bring food'....

Maybe not the best way to go about the gig, but it does sum most of us up.... especially in our teens... :D

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 5
acapella
acapella
12/12/2006 4:41 pm
Avoiding the sexual aspect, I would say you should go with the electric, just because personally I know that I would be more likely to pay attention to an exciting electric guitar song than a mellow acoustic song. But then again, electric guitar can sonud pretty bland on it's own, so if you're going solo maybe the acoustic would be the better choice. Are you singing?
You go outside and practice screaming. We'll play music while you're gone.
# 6
jeffhx
Disco Bandit
jeffhx
Disco Bandit
12/12/2006 6:39 pm
i wud love to watch a girl do stuff on acoustic...acoustic the way to go for meeeeee!!
[FONT=Impact]grooviest tunes ever [/FONT]
# 7
DAMAGED ONE
DAMAGED ONE
12/12/2006 7:12 pm
Hell I say Plug in and crank it to 11 and rip their ears off with a screamin solo :D
The Mind Is A Terrible Think To Waste.
# 8
lyricchic
lyricchic
12/13/2006 4:35 am
Lol, I'm singing, but since I'm in the middle of finals and the gig's on Thursday, I don't have time to learn screamin solo's ;) Your insights all rock, and so far electric seems to be winning, but I am worried about the bland thing. There's two guitars in 3DD (sorry for the artist mix-up, been doing a lot of creed lately) - and I can't play both (i.e. lead gets thrown out) - so it's not too exciting, just four chords in the verses and variations of the same four or five on the chorus. I'm still a little torn, but I think y'all have helped - a girl with an electric is hotter. Haha, I love it.
Don't worry. I shred.
# 9
Andrew Sa
Andrew Sa
12/13/2006 10:50 am
I'd say you should do an acoustic version of 3dd, just strip it down and strum it, and occasionally add a bit a jazz and bouce into it by playing the actual fills and runs?

I think a heatfelt acoustic song is always better than a twangy solo electric song...if you're playing by yourself and singing, acoustic it has to be
[FONT=Century Gothic]Hope is when we feel the pain that makes us try again[/FONT]
# 10
aschleman
aschleman
12/13/2006 4:46 pm
Never heard of "Kryptonite" by Creed.... are you sure it's not Kryptonite by 3 Doors Down????
^^^^^^ Didn't read the 2nd page posts... haha. I see you corrected yourself.

Anyway... At some point you have to stop trying to appeal to someone and just be yourself... In this case that's what I suggest. The times that it's most important to appeal to a crowd is if you're doing an entire set somewhere... Since you're just doing one song just pick the one that comes most natural to you. I'm pretty positive that any guy in the crowd is going to like watching you play and sing either way. Something magnetic about a girl with a guitar. Bit just do what feels right for you. Most guys that I know don't like Ryan Cabrera........ but that doesn't meant that they won't like your rendition of his song....

For times like these it's good to know some songs by girls like Alanis Morissette and Sheryl Crow... Those are song good song writers... And a new girl on the scene KT Tunstall... "Suddenly I See" and "Black Horse and the Cherry Tree" are both killer tunes and not too hard to play.

Good luck
# 11
laderswager
laderswager
12/14/2006 12:19 am
O women that play guitars = awesomesauce.

I think you should whip out the electric and play some 3dd. I'd personally love to see that.

-A teenage guy.
Ibanez Rg 4 life... Word XD
# 12
acapella
acapella
12/14/2006 4:32 pm
I'm going to officialy cast my vote for acoustic. Don't do a solo act with singing on electric guitar, ever. Maybe if you were playing the Jimi Hendrix version of Star Spangled Banner or something, but for what you're doing acoustic is definitly the way to go.
You go outside and practice screaming. We'll play music while you're gone.
# 13
iiholly
hmm
iiholly
hmm
12/14/2006 7:47 pm
Why should a girlk try to play manly. Yes different sexes bring different attributes (stereotypically) to playing guitar. Why is that considered a bad thing? I'm so sick of this conversation though... feminism sucks... so don't give it a reason to exist.

# 14

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.