Cheesy fantasy

jiujitsu_jesus
jiujitsu_jesus
12/09/2006 7:55 pm
For a long time, I've been a bit of a fan of cheesy fantasy novels. I used to read them voraciously before the last few years of High School, where I didn't really have time to read much other than my school texts. Now that I've finished school, however, I can get back into it! I've just started reading the first book of Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time series, and it's brilliant (in a cheese-rich kind of way)!

So yeah - anybody else into cheesy fantasy novels?
"It's all folk music... I ain't never heard no horse sing!"
- Attributed variously to Leadbelly and Louis Armstrong

If at first you don't succeed, you are obviously not Chuck Norris.

l337iZmz r@wk o.K!!!??>
# 1
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
12/09/2006 8:07 pm
That's a genre that never really held much for me personally. I don't know why either. I know a lot of folks who dearly love them so I know they have a pretty broad appeal.

My quick reads are mystery/crime novels. I'm a sucker for them. Andrew Vachss' Burke Series, Lawrence Block, Carl Hiaasen, Elmore Leonard and Robert Crais...

As long as people are reading, I'm happy. Writing and literature seem to be a dying art and I love to see people engaged in it. It's too important to let it be totally replaced with video and other technology.
[FONT=Tahoma]"All I can do is be me ... whoever that is". Bob Dylan [/FONT]
# 2
jiujitsu_jesus
jiujitsu_jesus
12/09/2006 8:14 pm
Ah yes, crime! For my final year of High School, I had to read about a million crime novels for English Extension, so I'm on a hiatus from crime now, but I read some real gold while I was at it. I'm very much into newer crime fiction that subverts all the old conventions of the genre, all the alternative and spoof stuff. That said, I do like a good old film noir or hardboiled detective story every now and then - Dashiell Hammett is a fave.
"It's all folk music... I ain't never heard no horse sing!"
- Attributed variously to Leadbelly and Louis Armstrong

If at first you don't succeed, you are obviously not Chuck Norris.

l337iZmz r@wk o.K!!!??>
# 3
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
12/10/2006 8:42 am
Well as a young teen who listened to Led Zeppelin, I had to see what all those LOTR references were about. Sure that's hardly not in the cheesy category, being the original fantasy epic standard, but it led me to try out some of those Dragonlance novels. I mildly enjoyed 2 or 3, but gave up on them...just didn't have enough weight, or just plain quality.
Although I know of that series you mentioned, as I guy I work with was reading one. It was such a huge book, I asked him about it. He also highly recommended the read, but I haven't so far. My latest genre has been Louis L'amour books and stories, though I haven't picked one up in a few months.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"Bust a nut!" - Dimebag
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Einstein
[/FONT]
# 4
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
12/10/2006 6:10 pm
Not cheezy at all, but ripping good satirical British humour in a fantasy setting:

The Discworld series by Terry Pratchett. There are 30 books so far, and I've read most of 'em. Downright addictive!
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 5
earthman buck
earthman buck
12/10/2006 7:14 pm
I'm relieved to find this thread isn't about the "cheesy fantasy novels" I thought it would be.

# 6
Sarah0203
Sarah0203
12/11/2006 9:01 pm
I love The Wheel of Time series - I've read them all, and I'm waiting for the 12th and final one.
I love all fantasy type books -dragons, elves, wizards I love them all!!
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.