View post (Acapella's second story)

View thread

hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
02/09/2007 12:01 am
Originally Posted by: Jolly McJollysonI didn't hate him that much either. We all knew the narrator hated him, but he wasn't but so unbearable. Be careful not to make him a caricature, though.

Jolly's right. I didn't really hate Richard as much as appreciated the fact that the narrator despised him. Which, as you point out, is a cummulative effect. Somewhere up^ there someone said that it's like a couple. Perfect example. Most, and I stress most, people are deeply in love when they marry but over time, if things are not addressed, they build ... and build ... and build to the point where it all comes rushing forth in a foamy hate that consumes any love that may remain. Same thing here. I doubt the narrator hated Richard enough to kill him for any of those things that busted on his nerves but when it all added up AND Richards refusal (or density for that matter) to acknowledge what an ass he is and BOOM - dead.

And yeah, be careful not to make him a caricature. I always use the Ted Bundy rule:Ted Bundy was, for most accounts, a wonderful person. Got along well with people, considered to be good looking, very intelligent with a great personality. Of course he had this pesky habit of murdering co-eds...

The point is, when you write a character, like most people, they are neither totally good nor totally bad. It's your choice as the writer to bring out certain good things and certain bad things to manipulate your characters. Keep your characters in three-dimensions.
[FONT=Tahoma]"All I can do is be me ... whoever that is". Bob Dylan [/FONT]