I want a new guitar......Help me Guys

milkybardave
milkybardave
07/04/2000 10:12 pm
I'm not looking for cash donations, but I'll gladly accept checks! Hehe

At the moment I play a budget (very, very cheap) fender copy. But I have been a good boy this year and managed to save some cash and I want a REAL strat.

Now as I'm only a beginner, and guitar shops are big scary places, with every assistant an excellent guitar player. What do I do???

I am not confident enough to pick up a guitar in the midddle of the shop and blast into a ten minute solo (as if I could anyhow)
Do I ask the guy behind the counter to give me a demo??

Is there anything I should/shouldn't do??

I know you guys are real helpful and will give me sound advice (I've followed previous advice on here and its helped my guitar playing immensley)

Thanking you in advance

Take it Eazy

Dave

[This message has been edited by BadHorsie (edited 07-04-2000).]
# 1
zepo
zepo
07/05/2000 12:07 am
I had the same problem when i was setting out in the beginning thankfully I had friends that knew their guitars and told me which ones to get (I ended up with a dean and haven't strayed from deans since, awesome guitars). Dave you could just ask a assistant or the owner what kind of guitar you should get to suit your needs.....most people will help you out in figuring out what you need. Hope you get a good one.
"I need a girl who's as hot as my guitar."
# 2
BadHorsie
BadHorsie
07/05/2000 2:44 am
One question: Do you have a guitar center that you could buy your guitar from? If yes, then I can give you some pointers. Also, don't be intimitated by the people that work at the stores. Most are just beginners like you or just amateurs. Trust me, when I first started playing I used to think the same thing.

------------------
I'm off like a herd of turtles in the moonlight!
Ain't nothin' but a Gear thang, baby!
# 3
AtomicMassUnit
AtomicMassUnit
07/05/2000 8:14 pm
Ask who's the most knowledgable in their staff. When you progress from beginner to expert, your tastes will probably change, but find whatever sparks that interest for you. A Mexican (standard) Strat is always a good choice, because it will take all the hard knocks you have to offer, you'll be comfortable, it's cheap, and you can easily upgrade it later with better pickups. Just, for chrissake dont buy an Epiphone or a Squier. and remember, have fun!! spending money is a lot of fun! you may want to consider buying used also.

Atomic
# 4

07/06/2000 4:39 am
how 'bout bringing a set of stereo headphones in. Then you can play without worrying about what others are hearing, and you also experience the guitar in stereo.
# 5
trendkillah
trendkillah
07/06/2000 11:51 am
Hm, when i go to buy some new gear in a guitar shop, i always make sure i know more about it then anyone who works in the shop.
This can make the sales-persons feel very uncomfortable too(wich is always fun!! hehe)

I you gonna buy a guitar, play every guitar in the store you like, no 10 minute solos are needed to test a guitar. If it feels good, sounds good, and you dont scream like a girl when you see the price, BUY IT! hehe

Have a look at the product reviews at www.harmonycentral.com , thats where i do my researche before i go shopping.
# 6
Zygmunt
Zygmunt
07/07/2000 6:53 am
i was also in that position

u should get yourself a squire by fender strat

it produces a fantastic sound very close to a fender strat

it is also very affordable
# 7
Zygmunt
Zygmunt
07/07/2000 6:55 am
i was also in that position

u should get yourself a squire by fender strat

it produces a fantastic sound very close to a fender strat

it is also very affordable
# 8
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
07/08/2000 5:58 am
1). My advice to anyone such as yourself is play it yourself, don't be self concious, just play a few things you normaly would and see how differnt guitars feel.

2). Pay attention to the way it sounds unplugged, if it sounds like a toy then, it probably won't be much better pluged in; the tone will be more in the hands of your pickups and amp. And I do realize that most electrics sound like a toy unplugged, but the good ones sound alot less toyish, and I'm sure you can hear the differnce.

3). Contrary to what Atomic says, I think an Epiphone is worth 2 Gibsons (atleast the cheaper Gibsons anyway).

4). Pay close attention to the used guitars, my two favorite instruments were used, and I won't part with either. My strat was $300 and came with a nice hardshell case and a strap. I couldn't of spent my income tax return better.

5). AND THIS IS IMPORTANT: Feel out the guitar shops in your area. You'll know who to trust and who to avoid. I know that if I go to "Downtown Dave's" I know that under no circumstances will I get burned, bucause noone who works there will allow that to happen. Also, if a good shop see's you coming back again and again, you'll notice they'll start cutting you deals.

and I really hope I haven't confused you
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 9
milkybardave
milkybardave
07/08/2000 3:59 pm
Thanks for all your advice guy's

I am now the proroud owner of a Mexican Standard Strat.
(She's a beutiful deep blue/purple colour, and I fell in love with her as soon as I saw/strummed my first chord on her)

Strangely I overcame my fear of playing in the middle of the shop, and took my time just playing over things that I practice every day. (I even got asked if I played in a band, so I can't have been that bad!)

She (am I a bit weird referring to my guitar as a she??)sounds so good, plugged into my amp and unplugged, I can really hear the difference between her and the old plank that I used to play (the whole sound (tone) of the guitar is so much better)

I guess thats what you get for paying for quality.

Once again, thanks for the advice, I know who to come to when I have another question.

Take it Eazy

Dave
# 10
Coverdale
Coverdale
07/10/2000 1:26 am
Hi!
I'm from Portugal and I own a Fender Mexican Stratocaster with Floyd-Rose II.
I'm thinking of buying a Musicman Steve Morse. Can anyone who knows that guitar mail me and talk about that beaty?
Thanks!
# 11
loner92
loner92
07/11/2000 4:49 am
Go to www.musicyo.com and you can get a good Kramer neck through guitar with a Floyd Rose trem or fixed bridge (I perfer the fixed ones, myself) for less than $260. I've ordered 3 guitars from them, they really are good, and the customer service is good too.

# 12
Reinout
Reinout
07/20/2000 6:35 pm
Get a Cort (CL1500). Those guitars are the best! Read the review on tonefrenzy.com!

Reinout Vrijhoef
reinout@tref.nl

A great amp can get a lousy guitar sound great
A lousy amp will make a great guitar sound lousy
A great player will sound great with anything
# 13

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.