Drop-B tuning on a 6-string

jiujitsu_jesus
jiujitsu_jesus
12/04/2006 10:10 pm
I've been wanting to learn some Deftones and Machine Head riffs in drop-B tuning, but I've never tried tuning my guitar below D before. I know that Stef Carpenter from the Deftones uses a seven string, and I think the Machine Head guys use 6-strings with really heavy string gauges. However, I have only a 6-string with an average string gauge. Do you think it would be "safe" (for want of a better word) for me to tune down to B?
"It's all folk music... I ain't never heard no horse sing!"
- Attributed variously to Leadbelly and Louis Armstrong

If at first you don't succeed, you are obviously not Chuck Norris.

l337iZmz r@wk o.K!!!??>
# 1
rockonn91
rockonn91
12/05/2006 7:57 pm
nah, not such a great idea unless you get your entire guitar set up for it. tuning that low with a normal string gauge and truss rod alignment for normal tuning would just mess your guitar up.

...plus it would sound like you're playing rubber bands, not strings.
JK :cool:

-Agile Guitars Enthusiast
# 2
aschleman
aschleman
12/05/2006 9:40 pm
Most guitarists that record anythign below drop D tuning use something called a baritone 6 string... It's a guitar with a longer scale than a regular 6 string... It allows you to use higher gauge strings and to tune them lower.

Drop B tuning witha standard 6 string would require A LOT of tweeking of your guitar... So I personally wouldn't recommend it unless you get a guitar that you can just keep in drop B tuning all the time.
# 3
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
12/05/2006 11:22 pm
My Own Summer by deftones is in Drop Db tuning, so thats one song out of the way :) .

I drop my guitar down to be at leasttwice a month or so to play a couple of Throwdown songs, Damageplans "Crawl," And a few songs off of Slayer's more recent cd's (which is the B tuned to standard at that pitch.) The bottom strings buzz like crazy, but with headphones and distortion, I don't here it. When I tune that low I usually leave my first 3 strings in standard since the songs I play don't use them, so I geuss that helps with any truss rod issues. What I'm doing could be bad for the guitar, or I could be okay for now, but its up to you. I haven't had any problems yet (knock on wood.)

I use 10's and it sounds great, not like rubber bands. I've tuned to Korn's tuning (Use ADGFAD since mine's a 6 string, not a 7) and that sounds like rubber bands cause of the light strings.
"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace
# 4
jiujitsu_jesus
jiujitsu_jesus
12/06/2006 12:49 am
Thanks guys. :)
"It's all folk music... I ain't never heard no horse sing!"
- Attributed variously to Leadbelly and Louis Armstrong

If at first you don't succeed, you are obviously not Chuck Norris.

l337iZmz r@wk o.K!!!??>
# 5
aschleman
aschleman
12/08/2006 4:29 pm
The biggest advice I could give you if you wanted to try to see how low you could tune your guitar without having to do much truss rod work... I suggest getting a set of Zakk Wyldes GHS Boomers... He has two different sets... One set is for half step down, drop d, and standard tuning.... The other set is a bit thicker and is for anything lower than that. So i suggest picking up a set of those. You'll have to put some more tension on the truss rod and possibly grind out your nut a little to accomodate the large gauge... But they sound awesome and it should give you enough tension to tune low without getting a full setup.

I don't recommend tuning your low strings down and leaving your high strings in standard... This causes a torquing action on the neck and can lead to twisting of the neck... and in extreme cases cracking or it can push frets out..... If you don't need them... I just suggest tuning them down a half step or so.... The torquing won't be as severe that way.
# 6
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
12/09/2006 4:11 am
Didn't realize twisting was a possability. Thanks for the info, aint gonna be doing that anymore.
"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace
# 7
jrvipond
jrvipond
12/11/2006 10:20 pm
I drop down to B but my guitar's tuned B F# C# F# A# D#. The bottom 2 strings are in 5ths so playing power chords is easier and faster. However, playing other people's songs is well hard. Try writing some stuff with it though. You'll surprise yourself.
http://www.myspace.com/impostorsuk
# 8
mudxorz
mudxorz
05/18/2012 5:21 am
Here's a guide with recommended string gauges for both dropped and standard tunings.
http://imgur.com/a/VR92v
# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.