The amp + cab that'll take THE MOST ABUSE

Vegas Wierdo
Vegas Wierdo
12/03/2006 1:11 am
We're talking about gratuitous amounts of distort, gain, whatever the heck else. You know... like what is produced by the Death Metal Pedal. A buddy of mine in a hardcore band years ago had this cheap no-name amp... he got a Death Metal Pedal and blew it in a matter of minutes.

I'd be especially concerned subjecting an amp to that kind of abuse night after night after night while off in unfamiliar territory, because one day I hope to tour with the band I'm starting (you know, crappy white van, living off of beans, stewed tomatoes, and 39 cent hamburgers, playing crap-hole venues for a few dozen local crap-heads, that whole thing).

That kind of garbage is not all I play. I'm the kind of player who wants to go from clean jazzy tones to reverbed surf rock to dirty blues to vintage heavy metal to extreme death-grind-noise-puke within the span of a 2.5 minute quick and dirty number, and all with but a stomp of a pedal.

Or, imagine wanking around very fast and aggressively with an aluminum slide on the upper registers while running it through the Death Metal Pedal and doing out-of-nowhere finger-taps at the 22nd-24th frets. If you've ever heard "Bored Elephant" by Melt-Banana, you know of what I speak.

So, what amps/cabs: 1) Can take that kind of abuse with aplomb; 2) have the kind of versatility I require; 3) don't sound like crap; 4) and don't cost as much as a 2003 Honda Accord?

For head + 4x12 cab?

For 2x12 combo?

And, what about taking such an amp and then seriously beefing it up with aftermarket parts (tubes, speakers, wiring, etc. etc.)?
# 1
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
12/03/2006 3:09 am
Originally Posted by: Vegas Wierdo... For head + 4x12 cab?... [/QUOTE]Magnavox (70's) Ampeg V-4.

Originally Posted by: Vegas Wierdo... For 2x12 combo?...
Magnavox (70's) Ampeg VT-22.

[QUOTE=Vegas Wierdo]... And, what about taking such an amp and then seriously beefing it up with aftermarket parts (tubes, speakers, wiring, etc. etc.)?

- Replace the speakers with Weber California ceramic-magnet speakers with the paper voice-coil domes. Clear, penetrating sound. Exactly what comes out of the amp, and very efficient. Major increase in apparent loudness, without cone breakup.

- Replace the 7027A's with KT88's. Output power goes up from 120 Watts to 140.

If that doesn't blow your load for you, look for an original Ampeg V-9. That was the 300 Watt guitar version of the SVT.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
Vegas Wierdo
Vegas Wierdo
12/04/2006 11:22 am
*slobber slobber drool* Can I find this stuff on E-bay? :D
# 3
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
12/05/2006 5:00 am
As you wish.....

>Ampeg V-9<

:cool:
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.