anyone want to pitch me some suggestions?

6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
11/29/2006 8:13 am
I'm taking a piano class at school this semester and finals are coming up. for my final, I have to play a piece of music (of my choosing) from memory. Since the skill level of the class varies from abaolute beginner (me) to some pretty advanced people, there is no set difficulty it has to be. Anyway, I can't think of what I want to play. It needs to be pretty simple, I wanted to play fur elise, but after trying for a while, I think it's a bit too complicated. But yet, I don't want to play twinkle twinkle little star or anything too simple. I can play stuff with a simple left hand bassline with like half or whole notes whilst playing a fairly simple melody with my right hand. I really want to play some kind of popular classical song, such as fur elise, but it needs to be simple. so, any suggestions?
If you like cars see mine here
my spyspace
# 1
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
11/29/2006 8:26 am
Originally Posted by: 6strngs_2hmbkrsI'm taking a piano class at school this semester and finals are coming up. for my final, I have to play a piece of music (of my choosing) from memory. Since the skill level of the class varies from abaolute beginner (me) to some pretty advanced people, there is no set difficulty it has to be. Anyway, I can't think of what I want to play. It needs to be pretty simple, I wanted to play fur elise, but after trying for a while, I think it's a bit too complicated. But yet, I don't want to play twinkle twinkle little star or anything too simple. I can play stuff with a simple left hand bassline with like half or whole notes whilst playing a fairly simple melody with my right hand. I really want to play some kind of popular classical song, such as fur elise, but it needs to be simple. so, any suggestions?

Mozart K.434 Sonata in C Mvt. 2

Very, very easy and a BEAUTIFUL piece.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 2
Krunek
Krunek
11/29/2006 8:30 am
I was going to suggest for Elise... Hm... Does it have to be the whole piece?
If not, maybe you ought to try some Vivaldi... Four seasons. Spring is pretty well known, and the main theme is not so hard. First it goes in mayor, then minor...Don"t know. It seems pretty easy to me, I played it a few times on a guitar. Only a main theme, though.Maybe worth checking out?
# 3
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/29/2006 3:02 pm
hmm.. wish I knew the name of it but it's one of those simple pieces you can play with basically one finger on the right hand, and doing simple runs with the left.
If anybody has a better memory than me, Will Smith played it on one of the earlier episodes of Fresh Prince. All you need to learn is the first few bars and repeat it over and over again if you wanna keep it really simple.
# 4
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
11/29/2006 3:04 pm
Originally Posted by: schmangehmm.. wish I knew the name of it but it's one of those simple pieces you can play with basically one finger on the right hand, and doing simple runs with the left.
If anybody has a better memory than me, Will Smith played it on one of the earlier episodes of Fresh Prince. All you need to learn is the first few bars and repeat it over and over again if you wanna keep it really simple.

Chopsticks?
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

# 5
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/29/2006 3:06 pm
Originally Posted by: Jolly McJollysonChopsticks?

No.. gimme a few minutes and I'll record a really cheesy imitation of it on guitar & post it
# 6
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/29/2006 3:19 pm
Ok... the chords are off, but you get the general idea

http://s93744050.onlinehome.us/willsmith.mp3
# 7
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
11/29/2006 3:28 pm
Yeah, that's Fur Elise, by Beethoven.

To warn you, 6strngs, that piece gets pretty hard after the first two pages.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

# 8
earthman buck
earthman buck
11/29/2006 4:35 pm
There's this one by Mozart, I think it's called "Turkish Rondo" or something like that. It's very quick, but it's also not too difficult. I had it more or less figured out in about a week.
# 9
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
11/29/2006 4:38 pm
Originally Posted by: earthman buckThere's this one by Mozart, I think it's called "Turkish Rondo" or something like that. It's very quick, but it's also not too difficult. I had it more or less figured out in about a week.

Hmm... I dunno, the really fast theme might prove pretty difficult...
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

# 10
aschleman
aschleman
11/29/2006 4:41 pm
Originally Posted by: Jolly McJollysonYeah, that's Fur Elise, by Beethoven.

To warn you, 6strngs, that piece gets pretty hard after the first two pages.

That's why most people know it from the first few phrases... Few people with tastes outside the classical genre have sat and listened to the entire piece. It's one of those songs that people say they "know" but if you played a 10 second clip of it anywhere near the end they wouldn't be able to tell what it was.

Hm... I'm not so versed in classical pieces outside the major virtuosos like Paganini and Liszt.... Paganini was a violinist... and I certainly would expect Liszt to be beyond the capabilities of most pianists... not just someone such as yourself...

Not sure how difficult most of the pieces from The Nutcracker adapted for solo piano are... but maybe you can check out some of Tchaikovsky's pieces from that... It's kind of Christmas'y.... Or maybe try another popular Christmas song like Silent Night or Silver Bells... songs that are made to be sung over are generally less difficult.
# 11
earthman buck
earthman buck
11/29/2006 4:45 pm
Originally Posted by: Jolly McJollysonHmm... I dunno, the really fast theme might prove pretty difficult...

I guess it might. I don't know. I don't have any background of piano playing either, but I was able to play the main theme pretty well after just a couple hours of going at it one night.

Sorry I can't help you more, 6strngs, but I'm just not a fan of classical music. That Turkish Rondo I mentioned is pretty much the only piece I can listen to all the way through.
# 12
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
11/29/2006 4:50 pm
Originally Posted by: earthman buckI guess it might. I don't know. I don't have any background of piano playing either, but I was able to play the main theme pretty well after just a couple hours of going at it one night.

Sorry I can't help you more, 6strngs, but I'm just not a fan of classical music. That Turkish Rondo I mentioned is pretty much the only piece I can listen to all the way through.

Yeah, I'm talking about the C theme in the middle of the piece.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

# 13
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
11/29/2006 5:48 pm
Great Balls of Fire by Jerry Lewis sounds pretty simple aside from the quick slides. I don't know didly about piano so its just a sugestion.
"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace
# 14
equator
equator
11/29/2006 8:47 pm
Flight of the Bumble Bee by Nikolay Rimmsky-Korsakov…just joking :D

These four pieces are easy and popular. (my 8 years old daughter can play them without any problem).

ODE TO JOY by Ludwing Van Beethoven.

DETERMINATION by Daniel Gottlob Turk

MARCH by Daniel Gottlob Turk

MELODY. Op.218, No.18 by Louis Kohler.

It all depends on the arrangement, try to get the "easy piano versions" or Level 1.

Or try this link...http://www.classicalmidiconnection.com/cmc/

Good luck, man!

Someday I`ll play like in my dreams.

equator's Music Page.

# 15
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
11/30/2006 2:15 am
Originally Posted by: equatorFlight of the Bumble Bee by Nikolay Rimmsky-Korsakov…just joking :D

These four pieces are easy and popular. (my 8 years old daughter can play them without any problem).

ODE TO JOY by Ludwing Van Beethoven.

DETERMINATION by Daniel Gottlob Turk

MARCH by Daniel Gottlob Turk

MELODY. Op.218, No.18 by Louis Kohler.

It all depends on the arrangement, try to get the "easy piano versions" or Level 1.

Or try this link...http://www.classicalmidiconnection.com/cmc/

Good luck, man!

Ode to joy was one of the songs we learned in class, so I don't want to do it again for the final, and it is a little too easy. I'm considering "Vivace" by Cornelius Gurlitt now, I've never heard of it, but it's one of the songs at the back of my book and it's pretty easy.
If you like cars see mine here
my spyspace
# 16
rockonn91
rockonn91
11/30/2006 3:46 am
dude, Jump by van halen is pretty much the easiest keyboard song ever....and everyone knows it...and the key solo is real fun and easy to play.
JK :cool:

-Agile Guitars Enthusiast
# 17
Krunek
Krunek
11/30/2006 5:31 am
Originally Posted by: equatorFlight of the Bumble Bee by Nikolay Rimmsky-Korsakov…just joking :D

Someone once told me, I think it was my former keyboard player, that a guy that plays bass in Mandwar (dunno his name) played the thing on a bass.
Now that is something to admire...
# 18
Krunek
Krunek
11/30/2006 5:33 am
Originally Posted by: rockonn91dude, Jump by van halen is pretty much the easiest keyboard song ever....and everyone knows it...and the key solo is real fun and easy to play.

The solo is pretty fast...not hard, but fast, so it makes it kind of hard...
# 19
Krunek
Krunek
11/30/2006 5:37 am
Originally Posted by: 6strngs_2hmbkrsOde to joy was one of the songs we learned in class, so I don't want to do it again for the final, and it is a little too easy. I'm considering "Vivace" by Cornelius Gurlitt now, I've never heard of it, but it's one of the songs at the back of my book and it's pretty easy.

If you want to get some motivation...Check it out. Maybe it will help. Try searching the web for a band called Divlje Jagode. The song is Turski Marš.
That is a remake of turkish march...download it, if you can. It is worth it. ;)
If you will do it, post an opinion here. That wouldn"t be bad to play either, although is is a bit faster.
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.