View post (Tone-chambered guitar bodies.)

View thread

Vegas Wierdo
Vegas Wierdo
11/29/2006 10:58 pm
If I go with a Warmoth Strat, here's what I have in mind:

- Tone-chambered mahogany body.

- Maple neck with ebony fretboard and jumbo frets.

- HSS pup configuration, I'm thinking the "Nailbomb + Irish Tour (x2)" from Bareknuckle Pickups. Either that or some combination from DiMarzio, with maybe rail-type single coils and a hot'n'heavy humbucker (I think I'd opt for normal pole-pieces over the ceramic rail thingies, just to be prudent).

- Either string-through hardtail or... if I can find the right tech to set it up juuuuust right, a Kahler trem.

- Big fat .13-.56 strings. Which is why I'm hesitant to get a Kahler... although SRV had strings like that and he had some weird beefed-up lefty Strat trem (and he used it to great effect). And they make Kahlers for bass guitars :eek: , so I imagine the design has got some beef to it. I have a guitar with a Floyd Rose (which I never touch anymore because I've come to despise FR) and I still have 13s on it... massive pain in the arse to set-up (gotta have five beefed-up springs instead of the usual three), but it can certainly be done.

- I want to run it through two 2x12 combos (ideally, Hughes & Kettner), which would amount to a half stack. One for sparkling clean and the other for rude/edge-of-dirty (still clean enough for weird chords not to get too barfed up). I'd have a Metal Zone type pedal hooked up to the clean amp (and maybe a Grunge, too) that I'd stomp every now and then (or maybe to the dirty amp) and there'd be an Ibanez Tube Screamer in there somewhere.

Also, since I'd be running both off an A-B/Y box, I might also have something ridiculously extreme (like that Death Metal Pedal, which I'm told can blow an amp pretty easy if you're not careful) ahead of the box so that when I stomp it, it applies to both amps. So I'd stomp it every now and then for certain purposes, i.e. eardrum torturing solo noise stuff.

- I would maybe add a half stack to that later on (head + 4x12 cab) if I found I needed a full stack. If that were the case, I think I would go with Madison because they're incredible for extreme grind-death-thrash stuff, but they also have an exceptional clean setting, from what I'm told. So I would keep the half-stack on pure untouched clean most of the time, 2x12 one would be rude dirty blues, and 2x12 two would be reverby California surf type stuff (or, throw in James Bond theme if you like).

So, the Madison would handle the "xtreme" stuff with aplomb, without any additional pedals. I'd have a mixture of the aforementioned pedals running into the combos, and I'd probably have a Death Metal running into both of them in instances where I want them to compete with the Madison.

- I'd probably have a wah pedal in the mix... it'd be the first thing my signal reaches. I'm thinking the Zakk Wylde signature, which I hear is really well-made.

So that's my grand master plan, in a nutshell. I'm hoping that tone-chambering would enhance what I'm after!