Neck stability..

pizzicatopicker
pizzicatopicker
11/27/2006 12:12 am
What I mean is I've noticed that some guitars that dont have a cut-away have a short tongue... For those of you who dont know what I mean, the "tongue" is the part of the fretboard that's on the face of the guitar... I suppose this is to make those higher registers more accesible. I'm talking strictly acoustic, becuase solid bodies usually have a a cut away or two to play with. Better players dont seem to mind their absence, though. So, I guess I'm asking is...

Do guitars without cut-aways and short tongues have less stability becuase their necks arent as "connected" tp the guitar itself? Meaning, the longer the tongue, the more stability?
# 1
aschleman
aschleman
11/29/2006 6:39 pm
Cut away guitars and dreadnought guitars generally have the same method of mounting the neck... For example... If you took a Taylor dreadnought and put it next to a Taylor cut away... they would have the exact same method of mounting... With that said, No.... in most cases neck stability isn't an issue.... You should never be worried about neck stability either way... If neck stability is a main factor in whether you buy a guitar or not... then you need to drastically change your playing style.... You should never break a neck at the mount unless you have completely neglected the guitar or have thrown it around an uneccessary amount... And that is to no fault of the manufacturer.... I will say, however, that Gibson SG models ahve been notorious for having weak neck joints... Since the body is thinner than the Les Paul... yet Gibson still chose to use the same mounting method... they are known to break at the neck mounting point when played in a touring type setting.... Also... you should take care when using bolt on type necks as well... They are sliiiiiightly more succeptable to breaking from being thrown around... However, Set neck guitars are more likely to be affected by atmostpheric changes...
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.