Very interesting stuff, could keep you busy for some hours...

The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/26/2006 7:52 pm
So I'm taking lessons with this guy Jon Damian, who teaches at Berklee, and is also a frequent session guitarist for the Boston Pops, and the BSO... he also taught Bill Frisell at Berklee!

He has this book out that has been around for awhile (THe Guitarist's Guide to Composing and Improvising) which is incredible. It is essentially the unconventional approach to guitar playing, probably for someone who has been playing awhile, but needs some seeds for creativity. It's not about shredding or technique either, it's all about musicality and imagination, and infusing that in your playing.

You can check out a lesson that he wrote (which is used in his book) here -

http://www.berklee.edu/bt/153/lesson.html

The entire book can be ordered here -

http://www.berkleemusic.com/store/product?product%5fid=11399&usca%5fp=t

While it is geared more for jazz than anything else, it's lessons can be applied for anything, I've used them in a lot of jam band situations.

aight, lata guys...
There are only two important things in life - There's music and theres girls, not necessarily in that order....
The Ace's Guitar Tricks
# 1
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/26/2006 8:29 pm
I'm always telling students they should read more books & a library card is one of the best investments you can ever make.

You can read magazines, but once you cut out all the advertisements there's very little useable information in them.
The internet is useful but it's hard to lie down in bed and read a good computer.

If ya don't mind me butting in on your thread, there's other ones I'd recommend getting too...

- Tommy Tedesco, For Guitar Players Only.
Probably the most influential book I ever read. It's really old..like 1979, but this is the guy who played guitar on just about every TV show theme you've ever watched from the 70's and 80's. ie, MASH, Love Boat, Happy Days, Mary Tyler Moore, Colombo, Rockford Files, Charlie's Angels, Starsky & Hutch... basically you name the show, and it was him doing the guitar work.
It's a short book but has some great studio tips and life advice for recording musicians.

- Guitar Player Repair Guide
Indespensible book for maintaining your guitar and doing setups

- Totally Guitar, The Definitive Guide.
2,000 photos, 1,000 playing tips... really big and covers just about everything.

- Mastering Engineers Handbook
If you want to know how to make your recordings sound like they do on the radio, this is the stuff you need to learn.

- Music Publishing, The Real Road to Music Business Success.
If you want to know how to make money from your recordings, this is all the legal stuff you need to know.

- Worst Case Survival Handbook
Not about music, but if you get lost in the woods, you'll know how to clean and cook a squirrel.

There's tons of other great books, but my fingers are tired of typing.
# 2
strat-man
strat-man
11/26/2006 9:23 pm
Originally Posted by: schmange
- Totally Guitar, The Definitive Guide.
2,000 photos, 1,000 playing tips... really big and covers just about everything.

Got that one, i highly recommend it! as Schmange says it really does cover just about everything, guitar set-up, maintenance and modifications, different playing styles, rock, blues, metal, country, pop, jazz etc, amps and effects.

Buy it NOW!
Strat totin
Six string slingin
Son of a gun

I met my maker, i made him cry, and on my shoulder he asked me why, his people won't fly thru the storm, i said, listen here man they don't even know your born.

strat-man rocks with vox
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.