Scale forms...

pizzicatopicker
pizzicatopicker
11/24/2006 8:16 pm
I'm currently focusing on scales... And it seems to me that a lot of the various forms of scales are veeeeeeery similar to other scale forms... As in the Ionion scale has the exact five forms as the Aelion scale does... The only difference is the position their being played in... I'm using a Hal Leonard book for reference right now. I understand the CAGED system, and I know what to look for in the shapes that are given in my book. I dont generally think Hal Leonard's theory books are very good, but the notation ones are fone. Out of most of the other books I've looked at explaining scales, they only really go over the Ionion, and Pentatonic scales, which is rather hindering in my study of scales... So, my question is; Are the 5 forms used for scales (CAGED) for the Ionion scale exactly the same as the forms for Mixolydian, Dorian, (ect.) modes/scales? :confused: :confused: :confused:
# 1
ren
ren
11/24/2006 8:45 pm
Yeah the shapes are the same (or can be), but there are 2 modes that do not have 'CAGED' shapes - you need Lydian and Locrian to complete the puzzle. So, G:

I - G Major Chord / G Ionian Scale
II - A Minor Chord / A Dorian Scale
III - B Minor Chord / B Phrygian Scale
IV - C Major Chord / C Lydian Scale
V - D Major Chord / D Mixolydian Scale
VI - E Minor Chord / E Aeolian Scale
VII - F# Diminished Chord / F# Locrian Scale

E Aeolian is a mode of G Ionian, and vice versa. These are the 'Modes'. The notes are the same - an 'A Dorian' scale is just a 'G Ionian' scale played from the second note (A) and extended up to 'A' to finish...

Hope that helps...

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 2
pizzicatopicker
pizzicatopicker
11/25/2006 6:47 pm
Originally Posted by: renYeah the shapes are the same (or can be), but there are 2 modes that do not have 'CAGED' shapes - you need Lydian and Locrian to complete the puzzle. So, G:

I - G Major Chord / G Ionian Scale
II - A Minor Chord / A Dorian Scale
III - B Minor Chord / B Phrygian Scale
IV - C Major Chord / C Lydian Scale
V - D Major Chord / D Mixolydian Scale
VI - E Minor Chord / E Aeolian Scale
VII - F# Diminished Chord / F# Locrian Scale

E Aeolian is a mode of G Ionian, and vice versa. These are the 'Modes'. The notes are the same - an 'A Dorian' scale is just a 'G Ionian' scale played from the second note (A) and extended up to 'A' to finish...

Hope that helps...

God bless you, God bless you, God bless you! Yes, that did help. I can now delv even futher into my studies on scales. Thanks, Ren....
# 3
Bar Chord Nick
Full Access
Bar Chord Nick
Full Access
11/27/2006 3:26 am
I made this chart for myself. It might be helpful.

Modes
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.