View post (Video you should see)

View thread

R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
11/18/2006 6:08 pm
Originally Posted by: ren...Is the US becoming the police state it appears to be from outside?

You somewhat answered your own question there...it "appears to be". The media loves stories that initiate an emotional response. Stories of routine arrests by "good" cops just don't make good news, at least nationally like this. Or consider if they had just run his name, and let him go (which probably happens everyday elsewhere). That wouldn't even make the school newsletter. They (the media) want to find corruption or abuse, and rightly so, but these are the exceptions to the rule in my opinion.
I see the valid point raised that a uniform attracts certain individuals, but I'm not so cynical to believe they are the majority. It's that very perspective that gives me the skeptical pause with these stories, and to not take every word of every witness, or reporter for that matter. I too have had family/friends in the military, and have known police officers. These are some of the best people you'll meet.
So all in all I think we're all on the same page with this story to some degree. It definitely looks like unwarranted abuse. But I won't throw this blanket on all, or even most servicemen of any type.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"Bust a nut!" - Dimebag
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Einstein
[/FONT]