back problems

deepshadows
deepshadows
11/12/2006 12:30 am
i just started using my brothers guitar (its a les paul copy) and its rather heavy. when i practice for over an hour i start to get pains in my back. i have good posture and when i switch back to my old guitar i dont get a back ache. my old guitar is really, really bad so i can only play my brothers. has anyone had this problem before and is there anything i can do or should i just put up with it?
# 1
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
11/12/2006 3:33 am
You could try practicing while sittng down. What kind of guitar is your crappy one?
"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace
# 2
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
11/12/2006 7:13 am
It wasn't clear to me from your post if you're either playing sitting down or standing, but I'm guessing since you emphasized the weight, you're standing. Yet personally I always get aches from playing sitting down, as I forget about my posture and slump, which feels fine at the time, but it hurts the next day. I guess there's a few things that I might try though...
*get a comfortable strap
*take a break (at least once an hour or more if you're not already)
*save $ for your own new guitar, but meanwhile...
*try to improve the performance of your crappy guitar (set-up, pickups, other hardware)

And no, you shouldn't just put up with it, as it could lead to chronic pain...not fun, and potentially debilitating.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"Bust a nut!" - Dimebag
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Einstein
[/FONT]
# 3
deepshadows
deepshadows
11/12/2006 7:11 pm
my crappy guitar is a yamaha pacifica which is awful lol. i always practice standing and i practice for long periods of time (4-5 hours). i'm going to get a squier strat on credit because im broke and i remember it being quite a nice guitar but this is something i'll watch out for in future guitars that i buy. in the mean time i'll practice for shorter periods with breaks in between, thanks for the advice :)
# 4
rockonn91
rockonn91
11/12/2006 9:08 pm
nah, man. squire isnt any better than your current yamaha. if anything, its worse.

Im not much of a strat guy, but check out some SX strats from Rondo music, I garuntee you you'll get more for your money.
JK :cool:

-Agile Guitars Enthusiast
# 5
iiholly
hmm
iiholly
hmm
11/13/2006 5:08 pm
Ah well back pain is common with classical playing, and my teacher advised me to do sit up and crunches what not. The reasoning, I'm not sure... but it seemed to help. It might now help, but its worth a shot.

# 6
acapella
acapella
11/13/2006 5:37 pm
Originally Posted by: iihollyAh well back pain is common with classical playing, and my teacher advised me to do sit up and crunches what not. The reasoning, I'm not sure... but it seemed to help. It might now help, but its worth a shot.

Strong abs will take pressure off your lower back. It's all about balance, m'lady. If one side of you is stronger than the other it puts too much pressure on one side. And so on.
You go outside and practice screaming. We'll play music while you're gone.
# 7
deepshadows
deepshadows
11/13/2006 7:34 pm
Originally Posted by: rockonn91nah, man. squire isnt any better than your current yamaha. if anything, its worse.

Im not much of a strat guy, but check out some SX strats from Rondo music, I garuntee you you'll get more for your money.

those prices are crazy. thats like £50 in english money. but trust me the yamaha is rediculously bad. i even have trouble playing basic chords. it's just so annoying to play even my friends moan about it lol. i do like the sound of it though
# 8
aschleman
aschleman
11/13/2006 8:16 pm
Well... with me being a Fender man.... I can't say that I know what it's like to practice for 4 hours with an overpriced peice of mahogany strapped to me... haha... But seriously, Les Pauls are known for their weight problem... In most cases, the back pains occur when the player has the strap set so the guitar hang too low... Causing the player to have to bend slightly to play comfortably... A good tip for all guitar players is to adjust the strap of the guitar so it hangs at a position that you can stand up right and still play comfortably.... Try not to hang your guitar reaaally low... I know it looks cooler... Back pain > looking cool.... atleast in my book.

A Squire Strat isn't a bad guitar... I wouldn't recommend going with a lower end Squire though... If you're looking to go up... I would look at one of their solid Alder body guitars... rather than one of their cheap ones made of plywood... It will give you a good platform to work with and a decent price. The higer end Squires are around 170 dollars or so.
# 9
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
11/13/2006 11:12 pm
Here's a couple of sites that might help with deciding what guitar to get, and where to get it. Especially if you don't know much about either the site or the guitar, you can look up reviews of both.

epinions.com
bizrate.com

And usually Yamaha's aren't that bad of guitars, leading me to believe there's something wrong with your set-up (action, intonation, etc). I realize the Pacifica is a cheaper model, but still...look into that.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"Bust a nut!" - Dimebag
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Einstein
[/FONT]
# 10

11/15/2006 5:14 am
One of my Les Pauls is the heaviest of them all. I know exactly what you mean. I've experienced a lot of back pain with it. My suggestion would be to play it while sitting...unless the situation calls for standing. Good posture can help out too. Hope this helps. :cool:
# 11
MFerguson
MFerguson
11/16/2006 12:42 pm
I agree with Aschleman. There is a reason that straps are adjustable. I play a strat, and when I have played a friend's LP (with his strap adjusted for him) I find myself holding the weight of the guitar with my left hand.
Start high and lower the guitar as you play to find the "sweet spot."

My advice on a new guitar is don't let the name fool you. If possible, go to a music store that has used guitars. Spend the day and play them all. Most prices start at 1/2 of retail and go down from there. You might find that a Peavey, Schecter, BC Rich, Hamer, Ibanez, or Epiphone has the right feel and fit for you. Don't worry about who makes it. Worry about how it sounds, feels and what you can make it do. I now own a Yamaha Acoustic/Electric that sells for $300 that I paid $99 for, and an epiphone Dot that I paid $129 for.
Buy the best guitar you can for the money you have. (or can borrow)
# 12
Grambo
halfway to somewhere
Grambo
halfway to somewhere
11/16/2006 5:13 pm
I had a les paul studio for ten years and always played sat down, I'm playing a Squier now and I love it - brilliant action and ideal for digital recording.
if you always take the lazy route
The Devil knows your every move ![COLOR=RoyalBlue]
# 13

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.