View post (Simple Advice on Nervousness.)

View thread

citizenlev
citizenlev
11/07/2006 12:35 pm
As I sift through the various musical message boards, I come across this underconfidence problem of musicians over and over and over. Some have actually come to think it's a musicians bane to feel inferior. The solution to nervousness in any situation is simpler than ever.

Exercise! Exercising your body will provide you with balance, control, and general confidence in everything. In fact if the only thing you do is run or jog for 15 minutes a day you will go at anything with force and determination coveted yet unreachable by the inactive types. It will also help you greatly to do away with whatever addictions and indulgencies that are oppressing your life right now.

Remember - exercise is a basic need of any moble organism, and only some humans thought it unnessessary. The price for that may be too much to pay: fat, slugginess, lack of ambition and confidence. Or even worse: deseases, addiction, utter negativity, with the list going on and on ....
Bruce Lee said that everyone must jog everyday to stay in good health; to that I will add from my personal experience and experience of others I know - daily running increases efficiency of your guitar practice and anything else you do by 10 fold!

That's pretty much all there is to it, but as some final tips:
1) To stay motivated join a group of others that are active also. E.g. sports team, dojo, or even a simple gym (where coincidentally many fine shapely females ...and males are abound)
2) Exercise outside. Running outside will get fresh air and some sun in your head to clear it up.
3) Take good care of your back. Yoga teachings state that the person's youthfullness is determined by moreso than age as the health of one's spine.

Keep up and enjoy!
Citizen Lev

P.S. some stage fright will always be there, but if your body chemistry is balanced through exercise you will know and use stage fright as an energy boost your body is giving you. Bruce Lee himself used to get "the butterflies" in his stomach before fights. It's not only normal, but even nessessary for the best of your performance.