Combo amp for clean tones

HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
HDJ
11/03/2006 9:03 pm
Hey, I'm looking to get a combo amp to pretty much just use for my clean tones. The JCM800's clean channel just doesn't cut it...I'm looking at both a VOX AC30 and a Fender Dual Reverb. Can anyone with experience with these 2 amps offer some advice.....which one is the better value for the buck?

I'd probably use the dirty channel also, but want the best sounding clean amp I can find.....

EDIT: My 2 main guitars are a Gibson LP Classic and a Gibson SG with a Dimarzio Tone Zone in the bridge position.
Check out my band:
Havoc Din
# 1
aschleman
aschleman
11/03/2006 9:34 pm
Either one are stellar clean amps... The Vox especially delights me!! But I'm a Fender guy... I play with a JCM 900 with a Fender Deville 4x10 for my clean stuff...

Personally I would go with an AC30... but any Fender tube amp is good for clean stuff honestly. They're not good for much else... but atleast they're reaaaally good at that.

Normally for the best clean tone I go low volume and mic my Deville and run it through the PA... so that's something to take note of too. You may not need as much wattage with a clean amp as a distorted one if you run it through the PA.
# 2
Andrew Sa
Andrew Sa
11/04/2006 1:00 pm
Have you ever heard of or tried Koch amps? they have great clean tone,but are hellishly expensive..damn boutique stuff!

Hhmm you cant go wrong with an Ac30 hey, but I've heard the Deville's are awesome...on of my mates had a 2x12 Deville (you know with the offset speakers) it was great, so great in fact, that someone stole it at a gig.

Badcat make some amazing clean amps, but again, damn boutique gear!
[FONT=Century Gothic]Hope is when we feel the pain that makes us try again[/FONT]
# 3
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
11/04/2006 5:22 pm
The Holy Grail of clean is the Roland Jazz Chorus series. An old JC120 is the ultimate, with two 60 Watt amps, each driving a 12" speaker. The built-in chorus effect is amazing. Some of the JC amps have been re-issued, and while some claim that the new ones aren't as good, they're still the best available.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 4
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
11/04/2006 9:31 pm
Don't overlook Peavey! The Valveking amps have an amazing American clean tone, and the Classic amps have a nice British voiced clean tone. Both amps benefit from a tube and speaker change, but when comparing the price of the amp, plus the cost of the mods, you're still under the high price of those "other" amps, and will sound just as good if you ask me.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 5
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/05/2006 1:32 am
Yep solid state Rolland will hit the spot. The JC120 is an absolute classic for clean sound. I think PonyOne had one for a while. Also a tube screamer can work really well to take some of the shine off as required !

ANother thought, how about feeding a cheap Preamp like an ART TPS into the FX loop return of the Marshall ? You could use an ABY box to flip between the main in going into the amp for the dirty channel and a second input feeding the pre.
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 6
HDJ
HDJ
11/07/2006 1:43 pm
Thanks for the responses. I haven't considered the Roland, I'll have to find one in a store to check out....

I'm still leaning towards the Vox, but I do have other's to try now. Thanks again.
Check out my band:
Havoc Din
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.