my situation

force_of_shred
force_of_shred
10/26/2006 3:48 am
Ok one of my guitars that I got on a sweet deal for $65 It's a strat copy thats flat black with red dot inlays and red detailed knobs headstock it has a satinized neck also black. My deal is I love this guitar's looks and feel a lot. I now know that it's body is made of particle board and the three single coil pickups have alot of Hum. I still really like it though and what bothers me is that im extremely picky about action and noise free bends and this thing frets out from the 14th fret to the 20th fret. Ive considerd a leveling of the frets is it worth it in this situation for i also have to replace the pickups if i intend on using this guitar. any way any help is appreciated. :cool:
" "this tone ain't workin for me" is the first thing a guitar player says when he hasn't done his homework"- Bob Rock
# 1
ren
ren
10/26/2006 10:28 am
buy a warmoth neck and some new pickups..... or, buy a black strat and get the inlays done. :D

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 2
aschleman
aschleman
10/27/2006 12:00 pm
Here's what I normally tell someone who is thinking about doing any kind of work to a cheap guitar... Is it worth it?? I understand how that you love the guitar... I still have my first cheap strat and I still play it from time to time and I like the way it sounds also.... But if you're looking at leveling a fretboard off... you're looking to spend anywhere from 150-200 USD. The labor is what would be the main thing since you're dealing with colored inlays and a satin finished neck... it may be more. But either way you're looking at putting in twice, almost three times, as much as what you spent on the guitar. You can buy a nice mexican Fender stratocaster for just a few more bucks.

I notice you said you're picky about action... well... sorry to be the one to tell you this... Action is a double edged sword. Low action equals ease of play but you sacrafice the ability to do big bends and sometimes your overall tone is affected... High action equals clean, resonate tone and the ability to do the big bends cleanly... but you sacrafice the ease of playability... One thing about modern made guitars is that they feature flatter fretboard radius's that allow you to use low action without sacraficing much of the ability to bend... However... don't expect to be able to lay the action dow as low as you can and still bend... If you've ever seen pictures of Stevie Ray Vaughans Number One guitar... you'll notice that the action is set reeeeeeaaaaaaaaally high. Not only because he used heavy strings (.13's most of the time) but because the fretboard radius that he used was the same as a '62 stratocaster... long before the modern day 12" radius fretboards and compound radius's (I don't think radii would be an acceptable word to describe this term??? Who knows...?) He used a 9" radius which without high action would fret out any bend. So what I'm saying is... You have to make a compromise... so many people expect to use low action and get perfect tone and no fret buzz... it doesn't workt hat way. Find the medium between high action and no fret outs... That's the only way to go about it... Unless you want to spend the 200+ USD to get a compound fretboard radius... then you can have the best of both worlds.
# 3
force_of_shred
force_of_shred
10/27/2006 11:36 pm
oh yeah i guess i wasn't to clear on what i wanted done. i seriusly don't think anything has to be done to the fret board.It's just the last few frets that are a hair too high, don't they just tap them in farther or sand them down. Also the frets are in perfect original shape and the neck has no warpage./ so what does that cost usually?
" "this tone ain't workin for me" is the first thing a guitar player says when he hasn't done his homework"- Bob Rock
# 4
force_of_shred
force_of_shred
10/27/2006 11:40 pm
Originally Posted by: zreynoldspbuy a warmoth neck and some new pickups..... or, buy a black strat and get the inlays done. :D

warmoth necks may not fit as mine is just a strat copy also I know thats not worth it seeing as it would cost more than four times what i paid for the guitar.
and i hate mex strats and they don't make a strat this black and cool, also this guitar's neck shap is way more comfortable than any strat under a grand.
# 5
OSdave
OSdave
10/30/2006 3:16 am
Originally Posted by: aschlemanIf you've ever seen pictures of Stevie Ray Vaughans Number One guitar... you'll notice that the action is set reeeeeeaaaaaaaaally high. Not only because he used heavy strings (.13's most of the time) but because the fretboard radius that he used was the same as a '62 stratocaster... long before the modern day 12" radius fretboards and compound radius's (I don't think radii would be an acceptable word to describe this term??? Who knows...?) He used a 9" radius which without high action would fret out any bend.

Actually, Number 1 had about a 12" radius - it may have started out in the standard 9.5", but from all the fretwear, fret leveling, etc., it ended up at about 12". which is why the SRV Signature Model has a 12" radius...
# 6
aschleman
aschleman
10/30/2006 1:01 pm
Originally Posted by: OSdaveActually, Number 1 had about a 12" radius - it may have started out in the standard 9.5", but from all the fretwear, fret leveling, etc., it ended up at about 12". which is why the SRV Signature Model has a 12" radius...

Yeah, it started at the standard 9.5 for the '62 model... and eventually was worn into an approximite 12" radius.
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.