i cant play chords anymore!

jeffhx
Disco Bandit
jeffhx
Disco Bandit
10/22/2006 3:08 am
ever since ive decided to work on lead and scales, and recently classical stuff, ive been doing alot of fingerpicking, alot of scale improvisation...then i decided to play some old songs...i realised how retarded myfret hand became...my chords are held weak, cant do barre chords as effectively as i used to, and when switching chords i miss strings.......my strumming is ok however...i lost dexterity and finger strength...lost stamina too..i used to be able to play around 5 songs continuously...now after 2 songs my hand gets all achy...this is on acoustic tho...why i am flabbergasted... :eek:
[FONT=Impact]grooviest tunes ever [/FONT]
# 1
earthman buck
earthman buck
10/22/2006 4:32 am
I kind of know what you mean. Ever since I stopped taking lessons, I haven't really been able to pick with much dexterity. Like, single notes and stuff are fine, but if I'm supposed to do something like fret a chord and only play a couple strings, I usually end up doing a full strum anyway. And also, I've noticed that I can't get into chords as fast as I used to. I used to be able to go from chord to chord pretty lightning-quick, but now I can not.

I guess we just have to keep at 'er, huh?
# 2
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
10/22/2006 4:40 am
MY advice is that after your done your normal routine of scales and such that your doing now, play chords for another 20-30 minutes before you set your guitar down for the day/night.
"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace
# 3
jeffhx
Disco Bandit
jeffhx
Disco Bandit
10/22/2006 7:19 am
thanks guys...i guess ill have to distribute the time evenly into practising the 2 techniques...before it gets bad and i just end up unable to play anything that sounds decent...i will be so flabbergasted...yep
[FONT=Impact]grooviest tunes ever [/FONT]
# 4
elliotthp
elliotthp
10/22/2006 10:29 pm
(Please for give my spelling)

when i'm play fast licks and certain scales i can't help but to create string noise as my fingers lift fron the strings.

any technique recommendations?
# 5
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
10/23/2006 12:12 am
Originally Posted by: elliotthp(Please for give my spelling)

when i'm play fast licks and certain scales i can't help but to create string noise as my fingers lift fron the strings.

Slow down, get a metronome, get a scale or lick down flawlessly at one speed, increase the speed, continue with different scales and licks thrown in for variety.
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

"If it feels right, play it. If it feels wrong, play it faster” - Magicninja
www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 6
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
10/23/2006 12:13 am
Originally Posted by: jeffhxthanks guys...i guess ill have to distribute the time evenly into practising the 2 techniques...before it gets bad and i just end up unable to play anything that sounds decent...i will be so flabbergasted...yep

Yeah, just like you said balance the practice time.
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

"If it feels right, play it. If it feels wrong, play it faster” - Magicninja
www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 7
Fret spider
Fret spider
10/26/2006 12:12 pm

dunno if this helps but...

try and mute all strings below the one you are playing with your fretting hand by resting it on the strings. try to mute the strings above the one you are playing with the palm of the picking hand. as you move up or down strings, use the forearm to move the position of your palm and use the wrist to pick the string. i find this helpfull as only the string i am playing at any time can ring.

if ur already doin this, or trying to i can only recomend sloing down and practicin more.
# 8
ren
ren
10/26/2006 1:43 pm

Maybe use a noisegate? :D

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.