e minor tuning?

Weslaba
My Baby's a Fender!
Weslaba
My Baby's a Fender!
10/22/2006 12:24 am
I believe that one of my friends mentioned "e minor tuning." Either I'm imagining things or he really said it. If it is real.....how do you do it?
"Gypsy flies from coast to coast, knowing many loving none." -Allmans

SoundClick Page

Myspace Page (Add Me) (I'm better than you... Or am I :eek: )
# 1
Weslaba
My Baby's a Fender!
Weslaba
My Baby's a Fender!
10/22/2006 12:41 am
man.....i think i just answered my own question before anyone else did. I must have been mistaken w/ "open e tuning." Sorry about that

SoundClick Page

# 2
earthman buck
earthman buck
10/22/2006 5:30 am
I guess an E minor tuning is possible, just not very common. EBEGBE would be an E minor tuning.
# 3
pizzicatopicker
pizzicatopicker
10/22/2006 4:59 pm
Well, you could tune to any kinda chord, which there are about 45, if Im utterly mistaken, that you could tune to.... thats the TYPE, not to which kinda of chord... Let me explain. You could tune to a A#min aug 7th... or a Gb diminished 6th.... but you gotta keep in mind... WHY would you tune to those specific chords... Alternate tunings, as these are named, are usually tuned to major chords, usually. Do anything you want; no one's stopping you. Some musicans, such as Nick Drake/Don Ross, usually play(ed) with alternate tunings at all times. This leads to new possibilities, and can simplify things, in terms of using a slide. Every time you put the slide over the fret line, you have a different chord. Plus, slide can be fun to play. The most common alternate tunings I've seen are open A, sometimes called the spanish tuning... and open E. I prefer A though, due to it' s warmer tone, and what not. Oh, and I dont know why I'm saying this, but Son House used to play in open G. Hope that helped.
# 4
earthman buck
earthman buck
10/22/2006 5:42 pm
Yeah, you can tune any old way. Take Sonic Youth, for example, what with all their crazy F#F#F#F#EB and D#A#D#BC#F# tunings. Man, I love those guys.
# 5
Weslaba
My Baby's a Fender!
Weslaba
My Baby's a Fender!
10/22/2006 10:23 pm
yea, thanks. The idea came up while talking about derek trucks, who I very soon after found out tuned to open e. I can see how it would be helpful for slide, although he doesnt switch back to standard tuning for his normal lead. He doesnt use any effects, or even a pick for that matter, so what else is new.

SoundClick Page

# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.