Strange sound...thats pissin me off

elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
10/20/2006 2:50 pm
I get this strange sound on my 1st string when I play it open, the 12th fret, and a few other frets along that string. I only have this problem with that string. If you were to detune your 1st string and play the 1st and 2nd strings open together, you get that kinda tremelo/vibrato sound. Thats what it sounds like when I hold a single note on some spots on the high e. Anyone got any info about this?
"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace
# 1
HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
10/20/2006 3:08 pm
Could the string be too close to the pickup? The magnet in the pup may be causing it.....

I don't know, just a guess.....
Check out my band:
Havoc Din
# 2
aschleman
aschleman
10/20/2006 3:20 pm
Couple questions... 1st... what kind of guitar is it?... 2nd... Does this guitar use any kind of compensation on the headstock such as string retainers... or is it a set-neck type guitar where the compensation is in the neck angle and bride angle.... and 3rd... what kind of bridge is it??

I'll kind of take you through the diagnosis...

If you're dealing with inconsistant tone on a single string you can normally rule out fret wear, high frets, low frets, or general neck warping... since this normally will affect more than one string and generally in just a few spots... So we've ruled out fretboard or neck problems... Now we look at the fact that it can't be the neck or frets... When dealing with string noise you have four things to look at... Neck/Frets, Bridge, Nut/sting retainers, and the string itself... Now... since we've ruled out the neck/frets we look at the others... The bridge, depending on what type of bridge you have will alter what can possibly be causing the noise... A hardtail bridge or a Strat style trem bridge may be causing the noise because of a loose saddle... Or it could be a matter of the string being incorrectly installed or shifting in the string seat and causing the string to vibrate inconsitantly... As for the nut/string retainers it could be a few things... one is if your guitar uses string retainers, also known as string trees, to pull the strings tight to the nut... the retainer may have raised slightly... releasing tension on the nut on your e string and causing it to vibrate eratically..... the reason this only affects one string is because the retainer has only loosened enough to release enough tension to affect the e string... once the retainer loosens more your b string will eventually soudn that way too... As for the nut... it may just be a worn nut... which is unlikely..... normally a nut won't wear as much on the e,b, and g strings because they're made of gut wire... which will cut through the nut instead of wearing a lateral slot for the string to vibrate inconsistantly in... So we can rule this out as well... Then there's the string itself... which may need to be changed... which in turn will take care of the incorrect seating of the string in the bridge...

So now we're left with the string retainers being loose or the loose bridge saddles.... One way to check to see if it's the string retainer is to press your finger down on the string (light tension) between the nut and the retainer while playing an open note.... Once the note is played let it ring for a moment... then let off... if the sound goes away when your finger is pressed on the string you need to tighten the retainer... If it's not the retainer... then there's a good chance it's a problem at the bridge... Tighten up the saddles and see if that helps... I suggest changing the strings either way... Normally when my tone goes sour I just change strings while I figure out what's wrong with it... sometimes the string change is all that you need.
# 3
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
10/21/2006 4:56 am
Its a Sheccter C1 Classic, it has a TOM bridge and doesn't have retainers. I'll see what happenes when I change strings, which will be as soon as my order from musician friend comes in. On my bridge, the very back part of it, the higher strings touch just past the saddles and have worn little notches (similar to the one on the saddles them selves. I tried moving the string around and even lifted it up from where it hits on the back, but it still makes the noise. When I change strings, I'll file down those spots so the strings only hit the bridge once.

The noise doesn't overpower the whole sound of a note, hell, if I'm playin for someone else, they probably wouldn't pick it up. But when I'm jammin and the notes ring out, I can't help but shake my head everytime I hear it. Hopefully its just a worn out string or the saddle just needs some adjusting.
"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace
# 4
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
10/21/2006 5:03 pm
On some of my hardtail guitars, there's enough string length between the bridge saddles and the tailpiece that the string can vibrate on both sides of the bridge. On some notes, the string length between the bridge and tailpiece is close to being tuned to a harmonic of the note being played on the neck side of the bridge. Because the two notes are not exactly in tune with each other, there is some warbling produced as they 'beat' against each other. I discovered this while I was doing some recording a few years ago, and I decided I liked it for some tracks, but it was unwelcome on others.

Try stuffing a piece of rag under the strings on the tailpiece side of the bridge to see if the phantom notes go away. I found that weaving some heavy curtain cord through the strings will damp out these notes, and I can easily remove the cord when I want to allow them to ring.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 5
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
10/22/2006 4:51 am
I'll give that a go Lats. I've had problems with my b string buzzing awkardly every now and then, I just detune and retune and it goes away; chances are, your reason is why it happens. I'll use some electrical tape or mabey notch out a small block of rubber to fit over the strings between the bridge and the body (string thru) if they're ringing.

Myspace
# 6
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
10/24/2006 1:51 am
Turns out it was just a crap string. I use Ernie's but I had to get another high E because the other guitar I was modding a little bit broke the high E so I took one out of my other pack. I just bought a single E last time I changed strings. Thats the last time I get a D'darrio string :rolleyes: .

Myspace
# 7
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
10/24/2006 2:02 am
Originally Posted by: elklandercc... Thats the last time I get a D'darrio string :rolleyes: .

I'm sorry you feel that way. I have found D'Addario to be the most consistent strings on the planet. Once I find which set suits the guitar and the music I use it for, I can be very sure that every set I buy will be exactly the same.

Before you try to argue, get a micrometer and measure a few sets of strings. You'll be a little less ready to dismiss D'Addario as crap.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 8
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
10/24/2006 11:01 pm
Originally Posted by: LordathestringsI'm sorry you feel that way. I have found D'Addario to be the most consistent strings on the planet. Once I find which set suits the guitar and the music I use it for, I can be very sure that every set I buy will be exactly the same.

Before you try to argue, get a micrometer and measure a few sets of strings. You'll be a little less ready to dismiss D'Addario as crap.

Why what the difference between a D'Addario 46 and a Ernie Ball 46. I've played through a lot of different strings to find a brand that I liked and it turned out to be Ernie's. They do lose a lot of tone after 2 weeks, but I always change mine before or right as I notice a big tonal loss. I've sampled DR strings and was pleased. I might have to pick up a set and see how they sound/feel.

Myspace
# 9
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
10/25/2006 2:39 am
Originally Posted by: elklanderccWhy what the difference between a D'Addario 46 and a Ernie Ball 46. ...[/QUOTE]
As I said.....
[QUOTE=Lordathestrings]Before you try to argue, get a micrometer and measure a few sets of strings. You'll be a little less ready to dismiss D'Addario as crap.

Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 10

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.