maybe getting new guitar, any suggestions?

blackrose
blackrose
09/01/2001 9:48 pm
I might be getting a new guitar. i have a limited budget, so im having a hard time making a selection. its bad enough that ive even looked at fenders to see what they have in my price range. anyways, does anyone have any suggestions as to what the best guitar i can get for my money is?
# 1
southernrebel
southernrebel
09/03/2001 3:14 am
Originally posted by blackrose
I might be getting a new guitar. i have a limited budget, so im having a hard time making a selection. its bad enough that ive even looked at fenders to see what they have in my price range. anyways, does anyone have any suggestions as to what the best guitar i can get for my money is?

If you play hard rock/metal, some Jackson guitars are pretty affordable. A company called ESP makes LTD guitars that aren't too bad with price and rock heavy. Personally, I'd go with a cheap Jackson because I own a medium priced one and it solos like a mofo. Basically, just look around and you'll find good yet cheap stuff. Go to musiciansfriend.com and they've got almost anything you want. Look for guitars that have Duncan Designed humbuckers and licensed Floyd Rose Trems. They are equally good as the real things-i promise. Most of the guitars I've mentioned are in the $400 price range but a few are less. But if you are trying to get a decent guitar and only have $100, you won't find anything good unless its used. Just save up a while longer and get your money's worth. Keep in mind though that the sound is mainly determined by your amp, not your guitar. If you have a fender strat but hook it to a marshall half stack tube amp with full gain- you can play metal on the spot. Guitars are more responsible for the feel of the playing and can add a touch of tone or power that can't come from any other source.(So they do add tone). So, you either knew most of this already and are waiting for me to shut up, or you've learned some basic information from a 4-year guitarist.

good luck,
Chris
# 2
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
09/03/2001 9:05 am
LOL; ('couldn't resist)

You will always get more for your money if you are willing to patiently scour the used racks of as many music shops as you can get to.

Brand names mean nothing, Reputation has [u]NO[/u] effect on the sound. Buy what feels good, sounds good [u]unplugged[/u], and almost fits your budget. When you're jonesin' with the GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome), you will always find a way to add a buck or two to your original target cost.

Dig through the archives on this site for some good advice on what to look for.

Good Luck!
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 3
chris mood
High Bandwidth
chris mood
High Bandwidth
09/04/2001 4:36 pm
If you spend the money & get A high end guitar you'll never have to purchase another guitar again, you just keep tradin them in. The 2nd guitar I ever bought was a Gibson Les Paul off my brothers freind & I never payed full vaue for another guitar since . So in the long run you end up savin money. Expect to pay $400-600 for anything decent though, Check out Shecter, or if you can get your hands on a used japaneese strat go for it, there pretty decent, check e-bay.
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.