Ibanez vs. Fender

vrnorman
vrnorman
11/06/2001 1:39 am
Everyone here makes valid points.
To some it is just a matter of taste.
I am 49 years old, and have been playing since I was 6.

I presently have a Gibson SG body with a Samick SG neck and DeMarzio pickups. I built this rod and would pit it against anything on the market that produces that fat low end sound that everyone expects from a Gibson guitar.

I also have a hand made Valley Arts California Pro Strat body with dual single coil Duncans and a bridge humbucker Duncan. The neck and fretboard are the fastest I have ever played including all of the production ax'es that you guys (ladies) have mentioned. I am looking at a vintage circa 1960 model Fender Strat just because I love the sound.

Amps DO MAKE A BIG DIFFERENCE in the overall sound but guitar setup including correct saddle adjustments make a huge difference also.

I recently took a Squire Strat that a friend got for Christmas last year, set up the intonation, adjusted the pickup height and the poor guy thought I had replaced it with a brand new ax. Also string choice is important as well as the correct string gage. Some people replace strings with a different gage and don't realize that the intonation (saddle adjustment) has to be re-done. I have switched exclusively to Elixer strings in the 9 to 10 gage range depending on the guitar. 9's on the SG, 10's on the Valley Arts.

If you buy a cheaper guitar you don't want to put heavy gage strings on it as you can warp the body and (or)the neck. There is a big difference between cheaper built guitars and the more expensive ones. Don't let anyone fool you, a Fender Strat and a Fender Strat copy are not the same. The electronics are also cheaper as well as the quality of the wood and the workmanship. Ibanez are fine but just beware that you are buying someone else's idea of of a well built ax. Make sure you compare side by side using the same amp and effects. You may discover that some of the guitars that you think you hate actually sound better than the ones you think that you love.

I wish you could see all of the guitars in my workshop that people have brought to me for repair. Ibenez are usually the worst for electrical problems but people keep spending their money.

Hey, sorry for being so long winded but this is a passion for me, not a hobby.

KeepOnRockin'
Th'WOLF
# 1
blackrose
blackrose
11/06/2001 10:22 pm
Oh, I probably should have mentioned that I've been looking around at the real fenders (the origional ones, not their cheaper stuff or all their squire stuff) and I am no longer in preference to Ibanez. Thanks for all of you alls patience while i got me some edumacation as to the truth about how Fender and Ibanez compare.
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.