Two from Tarrega

R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
10/10/2006 5:16 am
I finally got one of Francisco Tarrega's tunes, Adelita, down pretty well! I've known how to play the 1st part for over a year, but gave up on the harder movement, till the last 2 weeks I tackled it again, and stuck with it. Pretty tough to record cleanly as well...I think I had around 40-50 takes on just that harder part (0:35-1:15). *Listen Here*

Adelita (video tutorial) literally stretched the limits of my ability.
Study in Em (GT Lesson) is an easy standard everyone should learn, and was the first classical exercise I came across...still a pretty melody.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"Bust a nut!" - Dimebag
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Einstein
[/FONT]
# 1
jeffhx
Disco Bandit
jeffhx
Disco Bandit
10/10/2006 7:52 am
awesome...ive started learning them already...i really like it.....its good fingerpicking exercise for me too
[FONT=Impact]grooviest tunes ever [/FONT]
# 2
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/10/2006 2:53 pm
Originally Posted by: R. ShackleferdI finally got one of Francisco Tarrega's tunes, Adelita, down pretty well!
[/quote]
Awesome!!! I love Tarrega's music - SO beautiful.
[QUOTE=R. Shackleferd]
Pretty tough to record cleanly as well...I think I had around 40-50 takes on just that harder part (0:35-1:15).

Man, I've been there. It can be incredibly difficult to do even the simplest of solo classical guitar pieces very cleanly. Congrats - it sounds great. Thanks for posting it (and the Study in Emin). Made my morning, dude!
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 3
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
10/10/2006 10:43 pm
Originally Posted by: jeffhxawesome...ive started learning them already...i really like it...[/QUOTE] Cool...actually I'm not sure that the Adelita tab I linked to is transribed exactly how I played it, at least with that harder part. I'm going by a Tarrega book/cd by Paul Henry (concert guitarist and music teacher), so I trust it's accuracy over the net's. Overall though it'll work I think. But I'm not about to try and re-learn it their way to see! :)

Originally Posted by: CSchlegelAwesome!!! I love Tarrega's music - SO beautiful.

Yep, I've seen the several Tarrega lessons you've done already, but was kinda surprised you hadn't done Adelita, one of my personal fav's. That, and Capricho Arabe...but I'm not sure I can handle parts of that one yet!
[QUOTE=CSchlegel]Man, I've been there. It can be incredibly difficult to do even the simplest of solo classical guitar pieces very cleanly. Congrats - it sounds great. Thanks for posting it (and the Study in Emin). Made my morning, dude!

Yeah, but as many takes as I had on Adelita, I only did like 3 for the study, so kinda frustrating. But hey, it was good practice too. But naturally, I still hear room for improvement on it, with a dead note here, loud string squeak there, you know how it is, being your own worst critic.

And thanks to ya'll for the comments.
[/FONT]
# 4
jeffhx
Disco Bandit
jeffhx
Disco Bandit
10/11/2006 4:17 am
geez ive only managed the first part...this piece is really technical...i worship u rustee...this is really hard...especially the pull off parts where youre required to pluck other strings as well...its gonna take me ages to nail this one...
# 5
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
10/11/2006 4:43 am
Yep, that's why I put it off for a year! But it's all I practiced every time I picked up my guitar for about these last 2 weeks. Getting it down in my head and knowing the chords...easy...making my fingers do it, well, yeah. I thought I might never get that passage:

E---4--7/12--11-11h12p11--9--9h11p9---7-------------------|
B---5---------------------------------------10--7-----------|
G---4------------9-------------8-------------------8--------|
D------------------------------7-----------------------9-----|
A----------------9-------------------------------------------|
E---0--------------------------7-----------------------------|

:eek: Barring the 7th chord and stretching for a hammer/pull on 11? Who thinks like that? Just further evidence of why Tarrega is considered the "Father" of modern classical guitar. I read he was just as good on piano as well, thus explaining some of his unorthodox chord voicings.
[/FONT]
# 6
jeffhx
Disco Bandit
jeffhx
Disco Bandit
10/11/2006 7:06 am
ok you have officially got me hooked to classical guitaring...ive been watching videos by julian bream on youtube...

woot clickedy

ive also been going thru schlegel's lessons on classical guitar , TƔrrega's "Recuerdos de la Alhambra" ...the tremolo part is quite tricky at first but im getting the hand of it....bah they all sound so good....but i must thank you rustee and schlegel...i wonder why i hadn got into it earlier...time for a new challenge...the video lessons were great!
# 7
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
10/11/2006 11:08 pm
Incredible playing in that video there...made me start looking around a lil myself:
Adelita video This guy plays it with more authority and better touch than I can at the moment.
Capricho Arabe video Yeah...maybe by this time next year I'll have this one down.:)
[/FONT]
# 8
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
10/12/2006 12:44 am
Awesome playing there Rustee! I might try to start working more on some acoustic classical stuff myself :D
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 9
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/12/2006 2:59 pm
Originally Posted by: R. Shackleferd...kinda surprised you hadn't done Adelita, one of my personal fav's. That, and Capricho Arabe...but I'm not sure I can handle parts of that one yet!
[/quote]
Both on my list of lessons to do - just haven't gotten there yet! And yes, "Capricho" is a BEAR.

The guitar has so many logisitic peculiarities it can be tricky to transcribe for. Tarrega's transcriptions & original pieces are masterpieces in the understanding how the guitar "works". And he always uses those beautiful, bittersweet flat 13s on his cadences. Truly Kick Ass music!
Originally Posted by: R. ShackleferdYeah, but as many takes as I had on Adelita, I only did like 3 for the study, so kinda frustrating.
[/quote]
That stuff is always a work in progress. And as you know...
[QUOTE=R. Shackleferd]But hey, it was good practice too.

Exactly. :)
[QUOTE=R. Shackleferd]And thanks to ya'll for the comments.

The pleasure was all mine - I listened again this morning for a little inspiration before practicing. Then I checked out your other stuff. The Mozart piece was beautiful. So thank YOU.
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 10
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/12/2006 3:18 pm
Originally Posted by: jeffhxive also been going thru schlegel's lessons on classical guitar , TƔrrega's "Recuerdos de la Alhambra" ...the tremolo part is quite tricky at first but im getting the hand of it....
[/quote]
If it helps at all - it took me a LONG time to get that stuff right. Just keep at it!
[QUOTE=jeffhx]
bah they all sound so good....but i must thank you rustee and schlegel...i wonder why i hadn got into it earlier...time for a new challenge...the video lessons were great!

It's great to discover something new and wonderful. Hope you enjoy.
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 11
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
10/16/2006 1:51 am
Couldn't live with some of the more prounounced imperfections of the previous recording, and my computer didn't record my reverb at all so it sounded a little dry...thus I redid Adelita this weekend. I like this take alot better, and it only took 1/2 as many takes! :)
And again, thanks for the replies.

link in "tunes" below
[/FONT]
# 12
jeffhx
Disco Bandit
jeffhx
Disco Bandit
10/18/2006 8:59 am
great retake...ive nailed the first part and the ending part but its the midle part thats driving me insane...i tend to get lost...i used this tab for the song could be tabbed incorrectly? i followed the first tab initially then i discovered the last one at the end of the page..i get too uncoordinated at the middle part as it doesnt sound like how u played it rustee... geez its challenging but frustrating as well...i might get my hands on a classical soon still not sure if i shud get a decent one or a cheap arsed one....
# 13
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
12/30/2006 3:06 am
Just an F.Y.I. update for anyone who was into this song...
If you hadn't seen it already, Schlegel has completed his video lesson on 'Adelita'.
[/FONT]
# 14
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
12/30/2006 4:45 am
Originally Posted by: R. ShackleferdJust an F.Y.I. update for anyone who was into this song...
If you hadn't seen it already, Schlegel has completed his video lesson on 'Adelita'.

Hey THANKS, man! I ought to have followed up like this. So while I'm here ...

I also did a video tutorial on Tarrega's Endecha..

Rounding out the list of current Tarrega's oriented vid tuts are:

La Grima with some related technique exercises.

Recuerdos De La Alhambra with related tremolo technique info.

I recorded myself playing all of Recuerdos but the vid/file was too big. I tried to compress it to make it small enough to upload. But the resultant quality was too damn poor. Producing a complete version of it is on my list of things to do at the beginning of the new year. Then I will tack it on the end of that tut series. I promise. :)

And maybe I will even tackle Capricho in '07...

BTW - GREAT retake on Adelita R. Shackleferd. Absolutely beautiful.
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 15
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
12/30/2006 6:45 am
No thanks necessary my man. Thanks be to you for your good work...ahh, we could do this forever! :D
But yeah, I know how tough it was for me at times anyways, so it doesn't help when others try learning it from hard to read internet tab that's often wrong anyways. Hopefully we'll get to hear another take on this song down the road...that would be cool.
[/FONT]
# 16

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.