View post (Miners)

View thread

Drew77
Drew77
10/09/2006 3:05 am
Actually this isn't about hard working and dirty miners, it's about minors, kids or those considered to be so by the law. I also want to know something about Minor Scales, or modes and how they work.

I figure that they are called minors because of some third interval or something I haven't yet stopped to figure out exactly why they are called that, but I'm gonna take a big chance and say it's intervals (isn't everything). So my question is more about which ones I should be using. For instance there are three (3 right?) Minor scales or modes within a major scale, I'm jst wondering which one ppl mean when they say Minor. At one point I was led to beleive that Phygarian is what you play if some says minor, then I found out that Dorian and Aeolian are also minor, and I think Aeolian is a pure minor, whatever that means. So I guess Im just wondering about the differences between the minor scales, which ones to use and when. Also whats the deal with the HArmonic minor scale, as far as I can tell its alot like phygarian just a note or two changed, which is a big deal, so were does that fit in because in my extremely limited knowledge I'd say its not a mode of a major scale.

Thanks for any help you can give me, I can't seem to find the answer anywhere, also forgive any glaring misconceptions or mispellings or misinformation I may have let fall upon this thread and set me straight, I'm thinking about taking a theory course at the Music college at University of Cincinnati (where I go to school) its a pretty good one, not that that really makes a difference for a 100 level theory course. This whole thing is very confusing to me and I think it might be benefical to have some knowledgable person to bounce questions off of for a few hours at a time. I think I could make a lot of progress doing that...