Can someone be addicted to the guitar? - If you know something reply

BluesShredder
BluesShredder
08/31/2001 4:00 pm
Hey,
last week i left home to go to college,
i took my guitar with me but i didnt take the amp,
the first couple of days i was playing, not as much as i was playing at home, but i spent some time. Soon i got bored playing with no amp so i stopped playing. The last few days i feel very nervous,
could that mean that i am addicted to the guitar? have your ever felt bad for not playing the guitar for a while?
Anyway my parents will bring my amp in a couple of days so all i have to do is just wait.
I was just wondering if this is a feeling that every guitar player has...
Peter
# 1
Bardsley
Bardsley
09/01/2001 12:05 am
The longest I have been without a guitar since buying one has been five days. Five very long days. I would lie in bed practising scales in my mind, and with my fingers. Every time I would find omething I could wrap my hand around I would use it like a guitar neck. I have been without my electric sometimes for longer strtches, and I miss it, but it is my acoustic I make sure I have near me at all times.
"Dozens of people spontaneously combust each year, it's just not that widely reported".
# 2

09/01/2001 3:11 pm
A few unavoidable times I've been without my electric for a week or so, maybe more... but I haven't gone a day since I first started playing the guitar about 2 years ago without laying my hands on some type of guitar.

When I don't play I usually feel guilty... kind of the way pro runners feel guilty when they don't run. As for addictive, well, some people have addictive personalities and are easily addicted to things. Anything can be addictive. There are much worse things to be addicted to then playing the guitar imop.
# 3
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
09/02/2001 5:31 am
I was overseas about two years ago and had brought my electric guitar but no amp (thinking I that I would be able to find some sort of practice amp there). I ended up not having an amp for around three months.

For the first two weeks I got my fix by practicing scales and whatnot. But I finally got sick of not being able to hear myself, and I put the guitar in its case.

After a week of not playing I was itching for some riffage, and I finally borrowed a junk nylon string acoustic from a neighbor. It wasn't much, but at least I could hear what I was playing. (and I got pretty proficient at fingerstyle in the process)
# 4
mc9mm
Guitar Tricks Instructor
mc9mm
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/08/2001 12:58 pm
For about 6 months ago me and some friends went to spain.
I didnt think I would miss the guitar, I would have
so much to "do"(drink, really).
But then on the second day, I felt this urge...
I didnt know what it was, but then, when I heard a Metallica-song in a restaurant, I realized I needed a guitar. So I told that to my friend, whos in my band, and he could feel the same thing. That was horrible.

But then one day we sat down in a bar called Old London to drown our sorrows in beer.
There we started talking with the nice english bartenders, and after a while, I saw the guitar..

A Fender stratocaster!
Man was I happy!!
But then there was a problem. Where I allowed to play on it?
I mentioned it with a little "ehrr, nice guitar youve got there".

And what do you know, it turns out that the band normally playing in the bar, was sick or something, so me and my frien got free drinks if we agreed to play for the customers that evening.
I could smile again..
God bless the English!!
# 5
THE PHYRGIAN LORD
THE PHYRGIAN LORD
09/09/2001 12:04 pm
The worst two weeks was when i had to leave my strat with a technician it semmed like years i was playing riffs in my head and i was tense and hard to get on with so in some ways it can be addictive just like smoking

rock hard rock heavy rock animal
# 6
twisted_metal_guitarest
twisted_metal_guitarest
09/11/2001 2:20 am
yes it is possible to be addicted to guitar i've pushed homework back and almost failed history because id get home and start playing and id be like i'll only play for 5 minutes and it turned to 4 hours then i had to sleep. and every time i learn something new and i put my guitar down i end up back on it in 5 minutes i even take it to school so i can play douring passing periad.
i'm patatic hahaha
metal rulez!!!!!!!!!!!!!
# 7
Joseph
Joseph
09/11/2001 3:31 am
Originally posted by James

When I don't play I usually feel guilty...

Yeah, I hear ya, It's like when you forget to call your girlfriend back of three years,[/b] but with the guitar we usually get to choose [i]the topic of conversation. With the guitar, I think it's a healthy addiction, something that enriches your mind, and opens up numerous doors to your creativity. The guitar really has a way of giving us some place to put all of those excess thoughts that roam around in our heads. Sometimes I'de rather play my guitar until the sun comes up, instead of conversing about the same old mumbo jumbo all night long. The guitar gives us a break from the crap we have to put up with everyday, it's a great friend.

-Joseph
www.ragmagazine.com
"Swoop and soar like the blues angels."
# 8
Snacktruck
Snacktruck
09/13/2001 1:35 am
one time i was playing guitar and then i got bored.... so i took a crap then i played again. i played so much that when i broke a string, i locked myself up in the room because i was so devistated. i know a group u can talk to. it is a guitars anonomous class.
# 9
BluesShredder
BluesShredder
09/13/2001 5:23 pm
I am happy to be a guitar addicted

[Edited by BluesShredder on 09-14-2001 at 08:12 PM]
Peter
# 10
Fenderblues
Fenderblues
09/13/2001 6:04 pm
Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, oh the thought of being without my guitar just brings me out in cold sweat.

Not just an addiction but life itself
While I'm sat here, Playin', I'm tryin' to free my mind!
# 11
dgushi
Full Access
dgushi
Full Access
08/21/2019 12:22 pm

I really have a problem I go to work every day and I can't wait to get home so I can play my guitar again. I play when I get up I play before I go to bed all I can think about and talk about every waking hour is my guitar.

# 12

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.