View post (teachers - give us a break!)

View thread

Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/03/2006 4:38 pm
Yeah, I hear ya.
I was actually really suprised with how many emails I got for some of the beginner lessons I did awhile back. Like, 'Horse with no Name' I thought I'd explained it to the point of being redundant but I got so many people asking how the rhythm was played I had to redo it.
And 'Angie' I had to do a custom version for some people cause a lot of people didn't get it.
...it's here btw if ya need it... it's not compressed though so it's a big download from my own server..but it goes from beginner up to advanced with more emphasis on how the right hand rhythm is played.

http://s93744050.onlinehome.us/Angie.AVI

I've been trying to work on ways to explain the rhythm better but it's a tough one.
Tab is really bad for explaining it....and annoyingly slow to write it out.
Standard notation may not help either. It's sorta one of those things where you really do have to practice it a thousand times before you get it.
About all I can do is an extremely slow, close-up shot of the right hand and hope that you can figure it out.

Sometimes I get the feeling some beginners are taking their frustrations out on me too though. It's like... with Angie... when I originally learned it, I had to sit down with the vinyl 45rpm record on a crappy Lloyds stereo and practice it for months just to get the beginners level down. The advanced level took another 10 years of experience.
Sometimes I get emails from guys who I think are expecting that it should come to them the first few times they play it. They've spent maybe an hour on it and yell at me for not teaching them properly cause they don't realize how much time is actually required.

blah.. what can I say. It's totally understandable cause I went through it myself.
My old cassette player had dents in it from all the times I'd hit it in frustration.