PA's

ericthecableguy
ericthecableguy
09/29/2006 12:53 am
What P.A. systems do we all use? My band is looking for one. Just curious about you fellas.
For life is quite absurd and death's the final word, You must always face the curtain with a bow
Forget about your sin - give the audience a grin
Enjoy it - it's your last chance anyhow.

METOOB
# 1
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
09/30/2006 7:11 am
I've got a Yamaha EMX512sc powered mixer, that is great for simple PA setup. It's got 2x500 watt amps in it. You could use one for your mains, and the other for your monitors, or you one for left, and the other for right.

>Yamaha EMX 512sc<

I used to use a single JBL JRX125 speaker cabinet (2x15's and a horn), and two floor monitors, and never had any trouble hearing the vocals.

If your PA is only going to be used for vocals, I would suggest getting 2 1x12 PA speakers. The Yorkville E12 is probably one of the best for this application. A pair of those and a mixer like that yamaha, and you're in business. Expect to spend atleast $1000 for a decent PA that will actually let you hear yourself.

If that's a little out of your price range, just look for the speakers with the highest sensitivity rating you can afford.

I'll throw out a few suggestions here... >Yamaha Club Series 1x12 cabinets< >Yamaha A12< >Peavey PR12< >Yamaha EMX312sc< >Peavey XR600G< >Peavey XR 8300<

And then, don't forget about your mic's, mic cable's, mic stands, speaker cable's, and speaker stands.

Don't let anyone fool you into thinking that bigger is better. 15" speakers are ok if you're gonna be micing instruments, but with vocals, they can get a little bassy and make the vocals get lost in the mix. 12" speakers tend to let the vocals cut through he mix better. Also, if you intend on running bass and/or kick drum through the PA, you'll definitely want to think about getting a pair of subs too. If you do that, you'll need to look into getting a separate power amp to push the subs, and bass and kick drum need a lot of power, and also a crossover to keep the right frequencies going to the right speakers.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 2
ericthecableguy
ericthecableguy
09/30/2006 6:38 pm
Wow, great stuff bud!

I'm retarded when it comes to this stuff...so prepare yourself for this one. What does a power amo do? If we get a powered mixer do we need one?
For life is quite absurd and death's the final word, You must always face the curtain with a bow

METOOB
# 3
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
09/30/2006 7:40 pm
If the powered mixer has enough power and outputs to power your speakers, then you won't need a separate power amp, since the mixer has built in power amps. Or, if you wanted to be able to have more options at hand, you could get a non powered mixer and a separate power amp. That way, you can get the mixer based on your mic and input needs, and get a power amp based on the speakers you get.

This will probably be over your budget, but this is just an example of how that would work....

>Yamaha MG16/6FX 16-Input 6 Bus Mixer with DSP<--->dbx 223XL Stereo 2-Way/Mono 3-Way Crossover<--->dbx 215 Dual 15-Band Graphic EQ<--->Peavey PV 2600 Power Amp<(for subs)--->Peavey PV 1500 Power Amp<(for mains)--->2-Peavey PV 118 Single 18" Subwoofer<--->2-Yamaha C112V 12" 2-Way Club Concert Series Speaker<. That should give you a PA that you shouldn't outgrow too fast. (I didn't include mic's, and cables, and such)

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 4
ericthecableguy
ericthecableguy
10/01/2006 2:26 am
Originally Posted by: PRSplayaIf the powered mixer has enough power and outputs to power your speakers, then you won't need a separate power amp, since the mixer has built in power amps. Or, if you wanted to be able to have more options at hand, you could get a non powered mixer and a separate power amp. That way, you can get the mixer based on your mic and input needs, and get a power amp based on the speakers you get.)

I talked to the dude at the music store today. He had a powered (250watt per speaker =500watt) mixer w/2 moniter outputs for about $350 I think.

They also showed me Yorkville 15' speakers for $500 each.

He said we won't need to mic the drums, but everything else can go into the pa.

METOOB
# 5
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
10/01/2006 11:52 pm
As long as ya'll don't try to play with your amps wide open, and your drummer doesn't try to kill his drums, that should work for vocals only, but I wouldn't run anthything but the vocals with the PA. I've used some Yorkville 1x15" PA cabs, and I wasn't very impressed at all. Again... 15"'s don't work well for just vocals. It's also much better to have more watts than you need. Underpowering your speakers and making the amp clip can damage your speakers. You don't want to get something that you'll outgrow after a couple practices.

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.