Minor Dim Chords

bunmiadefisayo
bunmiadefisayo
09/24/2006 7:07 pm
OK i found this out by mistake while playing my piano and i was hoping someone could please explain the theory behind it. Apparently ou can effectively move from one chord to the immediate next chord by using a Dim chord. Example, moving from Cmaj to D min, i can use the C#minor dim and it sounds awesome!!! Of course it has a Gospely kind of sound but stil...

Is there some theory behind it? I noticed also that the Cmaj and C#min dim have E and G in them. So whats going on behind the scenes musically?
# 1
equator
equator
09/24/2006 8:33 pm
What is happening there is that you are approaching chromatically to the Dm chord.
You keep the E and G notes as a contour while leading the C note to D chromatically (C-C#-D)

That is a good example of voice leading.
Someday I`ll play like in my dreams.

equator's Music Page.

# 2
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
09/24/2006 8:42 pm
In addition to what Equator said, other than the V chord, the Vii*7 (Vii fully diminished 7th) is one of the most powerful leading chords at your disposal. Just be sure not to overuse it.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 3
bunmiadefisayo
bunmiadefisayo
09/24/2006 9:28 pm
Awesome!! thanks so much. Thanks to this chord i have been able to do things i couldnt even dream of doing such as chang keys smoothly and create more interesting melodies. Incredible!!
# 4
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
09/24/2006 11:13 pm
Also, I think you just mean C#dim, not "minor dim"
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 5
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/26/2006 2:05 pm
Originally Posted by: equatorYou keep the E and G notes as a contour while leading the C note to D chromatically (C-C#-D)
[/quote]
Great explanation. BTW - The "proper" theory term is that E & G are common tones in C major and C# dim.
[QUOTE=equator]That is a good example of voice leading.

It is EXACTLY that!!! Great point.

Also, as Jolly very insightfully pointed out the, vii dim chord and the V chord are the most powerful chords in voice leading - and thus for use in changing chords and keys. They are BOTH dominant function chords - chords that happen right before a return to a tonic or "one chord" (I).

Finally, I want to point out that something else a little bit more subtle, kind of "behind the scenes" thing going on. Notice that the C# dim chord also shares 3 notes with A7 - the V dominant of D minor (or major)!

C# dim - C# - E - G
A7 - A - C# - E - G

In fact if you continue on with the diminished series and make the C# a full dim chord - C# - E - G - B flat you get what jazz guys call a A7 flat 9.

It does sound "gospelly", and very classical or baroque. But that is all in how you use it.
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 6
Trinivalts
Trinivalts
10/02/2006 2:44 pm
So whats an E maj, Fsharp maj (standart barre Maj starting on the 2nd fret) and D maj, I hope I'm right about that Fsharp, I really donno much 'bout chords. Anyways it sounded cool.
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.