Looking for advice on recording thru computer.

axemaster911
axemaster911
09/22/2006 10:09 pm
I see many songs from different people posting there songs.
In the most straight froward simple way I would like to know how this is done.
# 1
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/22/2006 10:50 pm
you have an analogue signal coming form a guitar or mic or keyboard which is fed into a device like a sound card (or an Input / output deice). The sound card then converts the analogue signal into a digital signal. This is then stored on the computers hard drive.

You can then play back the digital signal and have it converted into an analogue signal that a set of speakers or headphones can understand and play another track which you can also record (overdubbing).

And thats it really.

You can add effects like reverb and pan the signal from left to right until you have sounds form multiple instruments all playing nicely together at the same time.
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 2
Superhuman
Superhuman
09/23/2006 1:57 pm
Hey axemeister, here's how I would do it if I could start all over and leave out the non essential gear - without getting too expensive.
-------------
Tone generator:
Boss GT-Pro - IMO far far superior to the POD or GNX series. The modellers sound realistic and the number of effects and combinations is more than enough. To my ears it is the best tone generator out there (besides going all out and buying a Mesa Boogie Triaxis). Plus, the GT-Pro connects via either USB, SPDIF, or direct 1/4" jack to your computer and can be tweaked on your computer via USB and software suite.
-------------
Sequencer/mixing/editing etc:
Cubase SX3 (or Cubase LE if on a budget)
Or...
ProTools (or ProTools LE if on a budget)
personally I like Cubase because it was the one I started on and it has a lot more VST's and midi capabilities available
-------------
DAW interface (if you have the funds):
Tascam US428 (on a budget)
or
MAckie HUI (if you can splassh out a bit)
-------------
Soundcard:
Either an M-Audio Delta 1010 (what I currently use) - or a good firewire device
-------------
Midi Drums:
DFH Superior (realistic midi based drum sample trigger)
-------------
And of course, a good pc with LOTS of RAM and the fastest most pwerful processor you can afford
-------------

You could also look at something like Guitar Rig 2 by Native Instruments (if you want to stay software based). And hook it up to a sequencer/production suite like Cubase/ProTools/etc. You'll still need to have a good soundcard and pc though...
# 3
axemaster911
axemaster911
09/24/2006 3:47 pm
That is what I needed to know. I appreciate the help.
Rock on !
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.