View post (touchy topic....just wondering)

View thread

jiujitsu_jesus
jiujitsu_jesus
09/23/2006 6:04 pm
Originally Posted by: LordathestringsCould a Muslim please explain to me how rioting, burning churches, and killing a nun serve to repudiate the claim that Islam fosters violence?

I'm not a Muslim, but I think I can explain it... the Qur'an unconditionally condemns violence in some parts, but in others, makes reference to a "holy war" and to "beating" your spouse. Dr. Leila Ahmed, however, having interpreted the Qur'an in the linguistic and socio-historical context OF THE TIME that it was written (basically, interpreting it as a text, not just taking it at face value ;)), has ascertained that these phrases do not literally refer to a war or to violence against your spouse, but to an inner spiritual struggle and to taking legal action against your spouse respectively. However, she continues, these phrases have been misinterpreted by patriarchal and/or warlike societies, and taken at face value; the result is the kind of Islam that you see on the front page or on the evening news. So yeah - Islam does in fact repudiate violence, but you certainly wouldn't know it from the media's perspective.

Hope some of that made sense. It's early. :o
"It's all folk music... I ain't never heard no horse sing!"
- Attributed variously to Leadbelly and Louis Armstrong

If at first you don't succeed, you are obviously not Chuck Norris.

l337iZmz r@wk o.K!!!??>