View post (touchy topic....just wondering)

View thread

earthman buck
earthman buck
09/20/2006 7:43 pm
Funny this thread should come up now, I had a religious based dream just the other night that has been kind of bugging me ever since.

Basically, I was in the army (which is odd in itself), and I was watching this conflict unfold from above. On one side there were a bunch of Muslims, and on the other side were a bunch of Catholic priests and the Pope. A big fight erupted, so I jumped down to try and stop people from getting hurt. One of the Muslim men pulled out a machete and was about to bring it down on the Pope's head, so I shot him in the back. As soon as I did this, all the other Muslims ran away and the Catholics began cheering and celebrating. Then the Pope lifted a girl off the ground by her hair and gave a speech about how she was a witch and needed to be beheaded. I thought to myself, "Son of a b**ch, I can't believe I saved that a**hole!" and shot him in the head.

I think a religion is just a set of beliefs someone has. My religion, for example, does not really have a name, as it is just fragments of different religions and zany theories I happen to believe in. I have no problem with religion, since everyone has beliefs. What I do have a problem with is organized religions, and people who believe in them to the point where they are willing to do crazy things just to defend their religion of choice. For example, I simply cannot understand how someone can say "I am a Christian because I was raised that way" and leave it at that. To me, that phrase implies you believe everything the Bible says, and I just don't understand how someone can unquestioningly believe EVERY SINGLE WORD of any text.

I think more people should believe in what they feel is right, rather than just stick to the religion they were raised on. If they research other theories or ideas and wind up coming back to their original faith, fair enough, but at least investigate a little bit. Give other faiths a chance. There's absolutely no need to pigeon-hole yourself into one set of beliefs and look down upon all others.